Noise in the cabins?

One of the reviews for the "Treasures of the Aegean" trip complained that engine noise is heard in the cabins making sleeping difficult. Have other passengers had this problem? Any suggestions on cabins? Thanks!

Comments

• I read it too. So I am bringing ear plugs. Why suffer?
    I'm going on July23 sale from Athens to Istanbul.
  • I read it too. So I am bringing ear plugs. Why suffer?
    I'm going on July23 sale from Athens to Istanbul.
  • I did 22+ years in the Navy, mostly on aircraft carriers. Noise onboard ships is unavoidable. If it is not engine noise it is the noise of the many blowers used to supply fresh air to the engines and interior spaces and exhaust air from the same and also from the galley (kitchen, etc.). Metal transmits sound much better than wood, concrete, or drywall. If you are tired enough at the end of the day you won't notice it at all. The sound level doesn't change a lot except on an aircraft carrier if your room is right below the flight deck where you'll hear the loud sounds of the arresting gear and catapults when they conduct air operations.

The noise on a cruise ship will be nothing like that on a Navy ship, but is something you can't avoid, even on a sailing ship. If you are a light sleeper, ear plugs might be advised. I keep the ones from the airplane and reuse them if needed.
  • bucketlist wrote:
    One of the reviews for the "Treasures of the Aegean" trip complained that engine noise is heard in the cabins making sleeping difficult. Have other passengers had this problem? Any suggestions on cabins? Thanks!

Hello bucketlist,

On a smaller ship you may notice engine noise that you wouldn't on a large cruise ship. Sometimes it is more noticeable than at other times. The comment about noise on these small ships are really unusual. The volume of engine noise we get just doesn't bother most of our travelers.

Hope this helps,
    Emily

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file