Options

Tipping

We are looking for information regarding tipping for the cruise director and staff. We know that Tauck clearly states that all tipping is included. It has been our experience with another tour company we have used that discreet tipping for excellent service is acceptable. We would like to hear from other Tauck travelers who can give us some guidance. This is our first time traveling with Tauck.

Comments

• Options
    On Tauck river cruises the tips are all included. Welcome to the world of Tauck, no one can beat them. Although I have never done a river cruise, I am a veteran of many of their other journeys where it is more usual to tip the Guide separately, but your tour details always tell you. Sometimes the driver is tipped automatically sometimes not.
    Hey, if you loved your trip and you have money to spare, then tip your Tour director more anyway!
    The last thing I panic about on a tour is tipping! But that is maybe because I grew up in a culture where you were paid enough and also did the job you were paid to do without thinking about whether you would get a tip. And yes, I am now American so do the tipping game and pretty generously. Of course in some countries tipping is considered an insult!
  • Options
    British wrote:
    But that is maybe because I grew up in a culture where you were paid enough and also did the job you were paid to do without thinking about whether you would get a tip. And yes, I am now American so do the tipping game and pretty generously. Of course in some countries tipping is considered an insult!
    My first Tauck trip, 18 trips ago, was to Yellowstone National Park. One of the major reasons I chose them was because all tipping was included, excepting the TD and driver. That took care of one of the real difficulties of coping with the continuing situation of being almost bailed up by people, who unbeknown to me, required tipping for some equally unknown or just perceived service. I didn't have to worry about the consequences of not tipping when I didn't even know I had to. If I hadn't discovered Tauck, I honestly doubt I would have followed through on my desire to see more of the country. It was all too hard and unpleasant, particularly for a solo female who didn't understand the local mores. Travelling with Tauck, particularly in the States, took care of that, to me, quite threatening behaviour. I now understand part of the reason why I had, on past trips to the States, felt so uncomfortable and bullied in many situations. I didn't realise that employers, particularly in hospitality and service industries, outsourced their employees' wages to customers … ergo, me. Now that I am better informed, I do tip more often in the States when I am outside the Tauck bubble, but I regard it as an act of charity rather than one of appreciation.

Feel free to fling more money around if you want to. Giving money away is a noble and joyous thing when given from the heart. On a Tauck trip, though, you don't need to make it your mathematical focus. As British says, social customs do vary across the world.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    You definitely do not have to tip anyone on a riverboat trip. It is included. Now that said; IF someone on board has given you extra or exceptional service, by all means feel free to award them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file