Options

food

On prior India tours did people get any food illness? Wondering how much antibiotics and medications to take. We will only eat at the hotels and are very careful to eat only cooked foods, no fruit or salad, bottled water, no ice and we are hand sanitizer junkies; that said, I have heard that most people get some type of food illness in India. Any experiences from past travelers would be welcome.

Comments

• Options
    On our trip to Northern India and Nepal this Spring I would guess that about half the group was somewhat ill at one point or another even though we were all quite careful with what we ate. Definitely bring along some Cypro and Imodium. Nothing to be overly concerned about, just be careful and if you get some distress you'll be fine in 24 hours with some medication.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Per a recommendation from an Army doctor some time ago: a step short of Imodium (which works really, really well...a that's another problem), take some chewable Pepto-Bismal along with you. Especially if you anticipate a potentially troublesome meal, chew in advance. Or afterwards if you are feeling some mild effects. Some of the same (but weaker) benefits as Imodium, but without the side effects.

Have followed this advice for years in visits to South Asia, Southeast Asia and Latin America. Sick to the need for Imodium once (Mexico).
  • Options
    Everything said so far makes good sense. I would start eating some curries, etc before your trip. Sometimes it is not a bug but just different herbs and spices that our system is not used to. MHO Have a great trip and Namaste!
  • Options
    When we did this tour from England, at the initial meeting on the first day the Director told us to forget western medications as they are ineffective in that area. He stressed that one can be as careful as ever but the bugs are in the air and all around. Keep your hands scrupulously clean, don't eat anything uncooked and insist on seeing the seal broken on every water bottle - and after use screw up the bottle so that it cannot be refilled. Don't put a bottle to your lips but pour into your mouth. These are just basics but no matter how well you try, some will get afflicted. The TD said that AS SOON AS anybody feels unwell he wants to know and will get it sorted. I did everything to the book but was laid low at the Taj Mahal. Telephoned the TD at 0800 and by 0830 a doctor was in my room to examine and give medication which stopped the problem in its tracks.
    I guess we are all made differently and some get afflicted whereas some do not - my wife was fine. I cannot stress too much that you should TAKE THE TD ADVICE ON EVERYTHING LIKE THIS. They have experience of many tours and want you to enjoy your trip.
    This is a magnificent tour (if maybe a bit humbling in places) so do not spoil your enjoyment by over concern about the food BUT TAKE THE TD ADVICE. I would suggest also that you might benefit from NOT wasting money on western medications.
    Do enjoy this magnificent experience.
    Richard
  • Options
    Richardb wrote:
    When we did this tour from England, at the initial meeting on the first day the Director told us to forget western medications as they are ineffective in that area. He stressed that one can be as careful as ever but the bugs are in the air and all around. Keep your hands scrupulously clean, don't eat anything uncooked and insist on seeing the seal broken on every water bottle - and after use screw up the bottle so that it cannot be refilled. Don't put a bottle to your lips but pour into your mouth. These are just basics but no matter how well you try, some will get afflicted. The TD said that AS SOON AS anybody feels unwell he wants to know and will get it sorted. I did everything to the book but was laid low at the Taj Mahal. Telephoned the TD at 0800 and by 0830 a doctor was in my room to examine and give medication which stopped the problem in its tracks.
    I guess we are all made differently and some get afflicted whereas some do not - my wife was fine. I cannot stress too much that you should TAKE THE TD ADVICE ON EVERYTHING LIKE THIS. They have experience of many tours and want you to enjoy your trip.
    This is a magnificent tour (if maybe a bit humbling in places) so do not spoil your enjoyment by over concern about the food BUT TAKE THE TD ADVICE. I would suggest also that you might benefit from NOT wasting money on western medications.
    Do enjoy this magnificent experience.
    Richard

Richard:
    Two things in your post caused me to want to email you. First, do you know why western meds are ineffective in India? And second, the information about not putting a bottle to your lips was something I never considered. What is the reason for this?
    You made me think of something else - is it unsafe to drink from a glass? I'm thinking perhaps yes.
    Felicia
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Felicia wrote:
    Richard:
    Two things in your post caused me to want to email you. First, do you know why western meds are ineffective in India? And second, the information about not putting a bottle to your lips was something I never considered. What is the reason for this?
    You made me think of something else - is it unsafe to drink from a glass? I'm thinking perhaps yes.
    Felicia

It is not that Western meds are not effective, it's just that the local doctors are more used to treating tourists and are fine tuned to knowing what to give that works much faster. Everything Richard said is what we were told. I had a half day of slight diarrhea, was fine. the same day our Tour director was afflicted, saw a doctor and was fine within a half day. You must let the TD know as soon as you feel unwell and you will be taken care of. The hygiene in the hotel kitchens is good but remember that most homes in India do not have indoor plumbing so I mean toilets or tap water, so people are not able to wash their hands as we do. When we are out touring we are more likely to be touching something like a door or handrail that someone who has not washed their hands than perhaps usual. Try to avoid touching your face, which is really hard to do. Use hand gel before you eat. The not touching the water bottle around the neck with your mouth is again mainly because it is more likely to be handled by someone who cannot wash their hands than here in the US. You could use a wet wipe to clean around there, no don't ask me if a wet wipe is harmful if put to the mouth.
    This is a fabulous but shocking tour, you will probably not see the poverty you see here anywhere else but I would not have missed it for the world. If you are so worried then it is best you do not go. But Tauck will look after you well and are experienced with these things. Our tour guide had been doing the tour for years.
    I have a nursing background and have worked in operating theaters so hopefully I know a little more than the average person. You should still take Cipro and Imodium with you because if it is prescribed it may save you a trip to a pharmacy. Also there is more chance of encountering fake or inferior drugs there. Have all your shots up to date and take your Malaria meds.
  • Options
    Oh I'm not worried! I, like you mentioned, try to research as much as I can before I go. I hope that my preparation ahead of time will help me not be sick. I find these differences captivating and exciting.
    Felicia
  • Options
    Thanks for answering those points so effectively, British. My point about taking own meds was that the Indian bugs being in a hot country are different from our western nasties so need different meds to suit them. Please do not be put off or let such concerns spoil what you will find is such a wonderful, educational trip which will certainly widen your horizons. You may have seen or read about India in various media but I can assure you that what you experience on this tour will give you a whole new perspective on life in that country. Prepare to be blown away by one extreme after another.
    Richard

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file