Options

Vaccinations

I posted the question re: the weather in Sept. and then read the wonderful blogs by Tommye Fleming! Full of wonderful practical suggestions and info. Thanks!

Does anyone know if POLIO vaccination (booster)is required? I am getting conflicting info. from travel clinics and would just as soon pass on it unless necessary.

Comments

• Options
    Polio booster is not required, but is recommended as there have been polio outbreaks in the area. According to my tropical medicine MD, if you have had a polio booster any time as an adult, you are covered for life. This could be why you are getting mixed messages. Or else, it's the posh hotels we're staying at. But I assume we will come into contact with locals along the way.

My polio booster shot came combined with a tetanus and diphtheria component, which I would have been due for next year. I don't normally volunteer for shots, but it made sense for me given the combination and never having to get one again. It's an intramuscular shot; tiny pin prick that I hardly felt and a sore arm for several days.
  • Options
    We are going on the Tanz.-Kenya Sept. 25 Safari. Our travel clinic suggested the polio vaccine booster for me (my husband had polio as young child so did not need it).I did get it. We both received the Typhoid vaccine by clinic suggestion. We were current on everything else, with the exception of the controversial Yellow Fever vac. We had received it before, but it JUST expired. She agreed that Tanzania has been SO back & forth with the necessity of this vaccine. She did say that if we were going to Kenya first and then into Tanzania, we would definitely need it (Kenya is considered an "endemic region".) But since we aren't doing that, she felt it wasn't necessary. From a "risk" point of view (as opposed to "requirement") the clinic doc said that the YF vaccines are effective way longer (like 30 years!) than the 10-yr. expiration. Hopefully, Tanzania will not change it's requirements on that one before we go! We also got prescriptions for Malarone (malaria) & Cipro (just in case we need an antibiotic). When are you going?
    Peg B
  • Options
    Peg,
    Thank you for the response...We got "all of the above" vaccinations!! We are going on the Kenya/Tanzania Safari on Sept. 18th. I didn't know that Tauck scheduled that closely together. Are you aware of any special "tips" for this Safari that would be helpful?? What are you taking for elec. outlet converters? We are excited and a little overwhelmed. How much cash will you take??
    We live in Boston , MA.
    Janet P
  • Options
    We just had all shots the Polio was recommended not required. However we opted to get the Polio.
  • Options
    JSP -- I always take my full electrical converter set. I was glad I did on one trip when I had to use a kind other than what had been mentioned.
    I think you also asked about money. Most former travellers have suggested about $200 cash, mostly in singles & other small bills, as although foreign currency is accepted, change will be in K ot T shillings. I think my husband & I will each take $100 in singles, & another hundred in $5's & $10's. Supposedly credit cards are accepted in most of our accomodations (although there will usually be a fee!) We will also put money for the Tauck Director in an envelope & keep in a safe place until ready to give him/her. Former travellers have anything different to suggest on money?

JSP ~~ Have a great trip!

Elizabeth M.~~ When are you going or when did you go?

Peg
  • Options
    We are going in January.
This discussion has been closed.