My Review of French Escapde - 25 August Southbound

2»

Comments

• jdurkin wrote:
    I am intrigued to see your review on TripAdvisor, Rod, stands out like a sore thumb as the one with no hand-wringing, Uriah Heep, drippingly obsequious reply from the "general manger". Very telling.
    Still no further information on this unfortunate hostelry. And how unfortunate still, for future and/or potential guests. Nasty thought. However, as I travel and stay at other 5 & 6 star establishments around the world, I can only wonder and smile at the way these other hospitality professionals react to my retelling of your unimpressive story. (Not your story, Rod, but the Fairmont Monte Carlo's!) I tell everyone. It's all very enlightening.

After a slight (very slight) smile of professional recognition and understanding, the advice is usually the same. Look the offending or recalcitrant Fairmont Monte Carlo staff member in the eye, straighten your shoulders and in your best professional guest manner state your request. Twice, if you have to. If it is ignored, you are not dealing with a professional. You are then left to wonder …. why are you staying at a "place" run by amateurs. That is very un-Tauck like.

Naming and shaming is all very very well, but what's our outcome? Life is still too short to have to be treated that way. Particularly in France, or its protectorates. Égalité and all that.

So, how are we going on this?
  • Jan - I have waited and waited for an answer but I'm now sorry to say that I'm afraid we'll never get one. It looks to me that to Tauck it simply never happened and they've moved on. I have not let it lie and I'll tell anyone who posts here and elsewhere just how much of a gamble they will face if they are Tauck guests at the Fairmont, Monte Carlo. I'm just very disappointed that Tauck accepts that powdered eggs for breakfast is inline with their very high standards.

Rod
  • Sorry to hear that, Rod. Well, we all get about. We all have our own networks …. and news travels fast, particularly bad news. I suppose the Fairmont Monte Carlo thinks they know what they are doing. Such arrogance amazes me. In the meantime I'll cross my fingers that Tauck does address the sub-standard issues with the Fairmont Monte Carlo soon. I need to work on my escape plan. I've already changed my flights to take extra time elsewhere.

Cheers,

Jan
  • OzJohnno wrote:
    We recently returned home from our 40th Anniversary adventure that included Tauck’s French Escapade from Paris to Monte Carlo. Everyone knows I’m a big Tauck fan and I found this cruise package to be up to their usual high standard but I have to say the trip really fizzled at the end in Monte Carlo. More on that later. This was our first “Package Cruise” and I have to admit that I wouldn’t do anything similar in the future. If we can afford to venture out again it would be on a river cruise only deal.

You are on a high, or at least I am, when I’m cruising on the rivers and leaving the boat is always a let down but to me leaving the boat to continue a tour was an anti-climax. I’m most likely in the minority here and my feelings should not deter anyone from considering this otherwise outstanding cruise. Tauck are truly all-inclusive from the Moet anytime you want it to having snacks delivered to your cabin.

Alas this was most likely our last Tauck adventure because as we get that little bit older we're finding it harder and harder to save the amount needed for these wonderful experiences. Perhaps the "Lotto Fairy" will pay us a visit. That said we'll always have the memories of touring and cruising with this great company to fall back on.

As always I’m ready to answer any and all questions you may have.

Rod

Rod.
    thanks for this review.
    we will be on the southbound boat September 2016.
    our 13th Tauck, 2nd river boat.
    was Paul Bocuse's dinner all that you were expecting?
    the salt lambs of the Camargue we are looking forward to.
    phil.
  • phil evans wrote:
    Rod.
    thanks for this review.
    we will be on the southbound boat September 2016.
    our 13th Tauck, 2nd river boat.
    was Paul Bocuse's dinner all that you were expecting?
    the salt lambs of the Camargue we are looking forward to.
    phil.

Hi,

I think we are on the same cruise...Sept. 29 Paris to Monte Carlo? It is my third riverboat cruise and my second on the Rhone...I did the Taste of France in fall 2014. The fact that we are going a number of the same places I've already been should tell you how much I enjoyed it...I really like this trip as you can get off the boat and walk around on your own. More than on the Christmas Markets trip I did last December.

On the Taste of France, we also ate at L'Abbaye De Collonges (Paul Bocuse's) and I thought the entertainment exceeded the meal. However, there was definitely lobster in the lobster bisque and the dessert was great. As for the Camrague, I don't remember having salted lamb. The ranch where we had lunch is known for their black bulls...not lamb. That meal was really good but it was more like a beef stew with their special cheesy rice.

Luckily I booked my extra day in Paris before I read these reviews. I love the Fairmonts in Canada, so it's so disappointing to hear about the issues people had in Monte Carlo.

Jan
  • Just booked this itinerary for Oct. 2020. I know from past experience that Tauck takes comments seriously, and when necessary makes adjustments to the itinerary. Obviously, the complaints about Monte Carlo were taken seriously, as they now stay in Cannes instead, with an excursion offered to Monte Carlo.
    David

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file