Options

Time spent CRUISING during the day?

We are trying to choose a Tauck river cruise but are having a hard time choosing an itinerary. We are interested in trips in Europe, but are flexible about exactly what and where. One of our desires is to be able to relax on board the ship and watch the world go by. It seems most of the trips move the ship during the night, and I understand the reason for that, but am wondering if anyone has experience and advice on a route that spends some of the daylight hours rolling on the river.

Comments

• Options
    I took the blue Danube & the Rhine/Moselle. Of the 2 for relaxing on board during the day I recommend the r/m for that. I remember a day on the Moselle on deck enjoying the scenery and of course a wonderful afternoon enjoying the castles on the Rhine.
  • Options
    Hi Jewels,

Further to Crackers answer, I like to add a few points regarding the movement of the boat. Quite often, while people are off exploring the sights via bus to their destination, the boat will move on to a new location where the returning sightseers will rejoin the boat. Not everyone chooses to do everything, so there are often people onboard just enjoying the ride. You can choose what you do. No one says … you are having lunch as a group on shore today, so no lunch on the boat! That would never happen on a Tauck riverboat. The crew is always there to look after you in every possible way, including providing lunch or dinner when others are ashore.

I can only speak first hand for the Rhine/Main/Danube (Amsterdam to Bucharest) and the Rhine/Mosel (Basel to Amsterdam) routes. I'm sure others will chip in with opinions of the other waterways Tauck covers. You can certainly spend all your time on board relaxing. I think you might miss a lot of the wonders of a Tauck trip … off the riverboat … if you did that, but that would be up to you. The boats mostly moor in places where you could wander about on foot to see the (very) local sights. Sometimes, however, the boats moor in what I'd call more practical port areas rather than picturesque ones.

If you read all the Tauck riverboat itineraries carefully (like I do) I think you'll find that every itinerary has a good deal of daylight river cruising. Perhaps that's what the lower end operators do … move only at night. That must be their commercial decision.

CHeers,

Jan
  • Options
    Jewels, I can relate to your desire to chill out on the boat and watch the world go by. Haven't we all watched the Viking ads and thought "there's me with a glass of wine"?

We took the French Waterways last summer and I had the same vision before our cruise. It kind of got dashed by the fact that it was a lot cooler and breezier in the south of France than expected for July. That said, we had a great time. Most of the cruising was in the evening/overnight. The Rhone doesn't have a lot of dramatic scenery so it was probably just as well. We did have a couple of late afternoon/early evenings when most passengers were on deck watching events - navigating locks, the Pont de Avignon, etc. It's great to be up there with the waiters bringing you whatever you want to drink, reading a book, visiting with other passengers, etc.

We are looking forward to the Rhine/Moselle next year in part because it's suppose to have some nice daytime cruising. Having said that, I also know my fantasy vision may again not be reality. But I also fully expect to have a great cruise even if it isn't. This is kind of like the numerous threads on which stateroom, which deck level, which side of the ship, veranda vs french balcony..... in the end most of it doesn't matter and you'll have a wonderful vacation with lots of unexpected highlights.
  • Options
    You are very wise to realize that the boats generally travel at night. You should read the itinerary very very carefully. On the Prague-Budapest Danube, only one memorable day of sailing: the Wachau Valley.

And the boat never left us off in one small town and sailed to another town whilst we were off the boat. But you are free to get on and off the boat during the time it's docked in the towns. You needn't join the organized tours.

Tauck delivered what they promised - but be prepared for less daytime sailing than the Viking TV ads would lead you to conclude.
  • Options
    Well, the Tauck river cruise itineraries do vary. I have certainly been on Tauck cruises that have moved during the day. Sometimes I stayed on the boat and waved as the others rejoined the boat further down (or up) river and sometimes visa versa. It depends on the Tauck itinerary you choose. I'm not quite sure what relevance a Viking TV add has for a Tauck river cruise, though? Gosh, that's like comparing water with custard. I guess they are both wet ...?
  • Options
    jdurkin: I never said that all river cruises move overnight and I'm not denying that some cruises move by day, but my point was that not all cruises move by day. It is critical to read the itinerary. And the reference to the Viking ad to which you took such umbrage, I was responding to Claudia Sails comment about the ubiquitous Viking ad showing happy smiling people sailing down the Danube. Surely everyone has seen that ad. It's become a joke in the community.

And you invited cruisers with other experiences to chime in with their opinions. You said: "I can only speak first hand for the Rhine/Main/Danube (Amsterdam to Bucharest) and the Rhine/Mosel (Basel to Amsterdam) routes. I'm sure others will chip in with opinions of the other waterways Tauck covers. " Well, I'm speaking for the Prague-Budapest river cruise. The cruise was not rich in daylight sailing through pretty scenery. Prague, Vienna, and Budapest were extremely worthwhile stops however.

Now that we have countered each other, perhaps other cruisers can add some relevant and helpful information for Jewels.
  • Options
    As Cruzing23 said, the Viking ads are shown frequently here. For a long time you only saw them on PBS before Masterpiece Theater but now I'm seeing them on other channels. As far as I've seen, they are the only river cruise company advertising on TV.

We, and I venture to say many Americans, have been inspired to take a river cruise due to these ads. We ended up on a Tauck cruise by a bit of a fluke and are now loyal customers. However, I've had several friends who have had wonderful Viking cruises including 2 couples who just came back from a Rhine cruise with nothing but rave comments. We will stick to Tauck because of the fabulous service and the truly all inclusive prices. I don't want to spend a vacation worrying about money once I'm there.

The point of mentioning the Viking ads was they can set up a fantasy vision of a river cruise that may not turn out exactly as you've envisioned. Doesn't mean a bad trip. Just different and wonderful in ways you didn't expect. Plan, but leave yourself open to happy surprises.

• Options
    Cruzing23 wrote:
    jdurkin: I never said that all river cruises move overnight and I'm not denying that some cruises move by day, but my point was that not all cruises move by day. It is critical to read the itinerary. And the reference to the Viking ad to which you took such umbrage, I was responding to Claudia Sails comment about the ubiquitous Viking ad showing happy smiling people sailing down the Danube. Surely everyone has seen that ad. It's become a joke in the community.

And you invited cruisers with other experiences to chime in with their opinions. You said: "I can only speak first hand for the Rhine/Main/Danube (Amsterdam to Bucharest) and the Rhine/Mosel (Basel to Amsterdam) routes. I'm sure others will chip in with opinions of the other waterways Tauck covers. " Well, I'm speaking for the Prague-Budapest river cruise. The cruise was not rich in daylight sailing through pretty scenery. Prague, Vienna, and Budapest were extremely worthwhile stops however.

Now that we have countered each other, perhaps other cruisers can add some relevant and helpful information for Jewels.
    Not all cruises/itineraries move by day. Tick.
    Many cruises/itineraries move by night. Tick.
    Vital to read the itinerary. Tick.
    My experience Amsterdam to Bucharest via the Rhine, Main, Main Canal & Danube. Basel to Amsterdam via Rhine & Mosel. Tick.
    Prague to Budapest is a land excursion add on to a basic Danube sector. Tick.
    Vital to read the itinerary. Tick.
    Vital to interrogate a map before you choose an itinerary.

I am not familiar with American TV programming. Thank you for your explanation of what appeared to be out of context comments regarding Viking cruises. All very illuminating. It's clear you don't need my help.

• Options
    I'm booked Amsterdam - Budapest in September 2016, a long way off, but I can still dream! I went through the 2015 itinerary looking for day cruising, and found this:

- day 3, half day cruising prior to arrival in Cologne
    - day 4, ditto Rudesheim
    - day 5, full day of cruising on the Main river
    - day 6, morning cruising, prior to Wurzberg or Rothenberg
    - day 10, afternoon cruising on the way to Melk
    - day 13, morning cruising in Slovakia prior to arrival in Bratislava

So, looks like five half days of cruising, one full day.

I presume there is also the opportunity to stay onboard on day 2 as well, instead of touring Amsterdam (if you've already spent time there, for instance.) Not sure how scenic that part of the route would be, however.
  • Options
    The northern part of Germany is the least interesting as it is industrial and a lot of nuclear plants, etc. The rest is extremely interesting and beautiful with vineyards and castles along with fascinating towns. Loved every minute and would do this again in a heart beat if there wasn't so many other places I haven't seen.
    Gary