Best of Hawaii

Just booked the Hawaii tour for May 16th. Have done two other Tauck Tours and this will be my third. Am a solo traveler but never felt like a solo on my other tours. Would like to know about the flights within Hawaii and type of clothing. Is it more business casual or just casual? Looking forward to this trip. Anyone else on this trip? I hear it is almost sold out.

Comments

• edited November 2013
    Hi Flatlands!

For the inter-island flights, you'll be flying Hawaiian Airlines. There are three flights, one on Day 4 from Oahu to Kauai, one on Day 6 from Kauai to Maui, and one on Day 9 from Maui to Hawaii.
    (Also, just so you're aware, if you have more than one checked bag per person, there will be a fee for each additional checked bag on all flights. The fee is $17, and is set by the airline, not Tauck.)

As for clothing information, below is the currently recommended clothing and packing information for this trip, as of today, November 13th, 2013. The most up-to-date information can be found by checking the itinerary page, located here.

I hope you have a wonderful time in Hawaii!

-Tim

---

Bringing the right clothing for your trip is important – we’ve partnered with New Headings who provide an "easy-to-use, one-stop shop" for your Tauck travel needs, specifically selected for this trip. Click here to visit their site.

We suggest you dress for comfort and convenience with a wardrobe that is flexible and allows for layering. Casual, cotton clothing is recommended. Women often dress in bright pastels or other vibrant hues. Sun hats, aloha shirts and floral print muumuus are customarily worn and are readily found in stores on all the islands. For fine dining, dresses are recommended, as are light wraps for evenings. For men, coats and ties are rarely worn in hotels, but "aloha shirts" and dress pants are perfectly acceptable. Men are requested to wear long pants in the evening.

Bathrobes, hairdryers, irons and ironing boards are provided in each hotel guest room.

Valet laundry and dry-cleaning services are available at all the hotels on this itinerary.

We recommend that you pack an adequate supply of your prescription medication in its original container to last through your entire journey, together with a copy of your doctor’s prescription, or a letter from your health-care provider on office stationery explaining that the medication has been prescribed for you, your travel documents and a change of clothing in your carry-on bag to avoid any inconvenience in the event that your flight or luggage is delayed.

We recommend you pack the following items for your journey to Hawaii:

*Sturdy but comfortable walking shoes that have already been broken-in for sightseeing
    *Aloha shirts and dress pants for men
    *Sundresses and cocktail dresses for ladies
    *A light wrap for evenings
    *Colorful resort wear
    *Short and long-sleeved cotton shirts
    *Shorts and slacks
    *Tee shirts
    *Socks
    *Swimwear
    *Light jacket, sweater or windbreaker
    *Raincoat and rain hat
    *Collapsible umbrella
    *Sunglasses
    *Sunscreen
    *Sun hat
    *Insect repellent
    *Camera, lenses, batteries and plenty of film
    *Binoculars
    *Daypack for camera equipment
    *Travel alarm clock
    *Copies of your travel documents that should be safely secured in the safe in your hotel room while traveling

• edited November 2013
    TauckTim wrote:
    (Also, just so you're aware, if you have more than one checked bag per person, there will be a fee for each additional checked bag on all flights. The fee is $17, and is set by the airline, not Tauck.)

Thanks for adding that little detail, Tim. That's a very reasonable fee. It sure beats leaving a case behind at first base when Hawaii is only one leg of a longer trip.

Cheers,

Jan
  • What about clothing for the Mt. Haleakala morning? We'll be arriving from the Pacific Northwest (where it is currently in the single digits!), so will likely be wearing winter coats. But I'm wondering whether it would also be wise to wear heavy pants and a sweater. If we will be returning to our hotel with the option to change directly afterward, it would be fine, but I doubt I'd want to be wearing a sweater around the island all day!
    Thanks.
  • edited January 2015
    I went on this trip last May and it was hot everyday. You certainly don't need to take or wear winter clothes. Shorts, capris and t-shirts are the clothing during the day. Evenings very warm also. Maybe someone who has gone in Jan. or Feb. might want to weigh in on this but friends of mine who went in Jan. said it was hot everyday. This is a wonderful trip. Enjoy! Don't load your suitcase with any heavy clothing.
  • kidfixer wrote:
    What about clothing for the Mt. Haleakala morning? .
    I was on this tour in July a few years ago. The morning we went to Haleakala, I wore a short sleeve shirt. When we got to the top, it was a little chilly so I went into the gift shop and purchased a long-sleeve t-shirt. This was all that I needed. Many people were fine with just the short sleeves.

I do not know about the temperatures in January but normally Hawaii's weather is fairly constant year round.

Enjoy the tour because it is great.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file