Options

Spending extra 2 days after trip

We are planning on traveling to Orvieto the day the tour is over by train and then on the 2nd day taking a small group tour of Pompeii and the Amalfi coast. Any thoughts or suggestions

Comments

• Options
    We are planning an extra day in Venice and another one in Rome. What should we do that is not already on the tour? And, does anyone know if we would have time to go to Pisa one afternoon while in Florence?? How is the best way to do that?
  • Options
    Hi Jane,

I just wanted to let you know, it's worth mentioning that we do not go to the Galleria Borghese in Rome on this trip. It's one possibility for something you could do while in Rome, and one we're frequently asked about. You can get more information on their website, found here: http://www.galleriaborghese.it/default-en.htm

And as for visiting Pisa, if you're traveling from Florence you can take the train; the ride is an hour long, and trains leave at least once an hour from the central train station of Florence, the Santa Maria Novella station. When you arrive in Pisa, you can then take a taxi to the Pisa Cathedral where the leaning tower is located. If you want to go inside the tower, you need to purchase a ticket. You can also make a reservation ahead of time, but they are limited and should be done in advance. (You can book that on this site: http://boxoffice.opapisa.it/Turisti/)
    As for whether or not you have time, you might on day 4, where you have time for lunch and the rest of the afternoon free, and possibly the evening, depending on whether you had the dinner at the Ristorante dei Frescobaldi on day 3 or not. If you're planning on making a trip to Pisa, I would advise you have that dinner on Day 3.

I hope this helps!

-Tim
  • Options
    I went to Galleria Borghese and it was wonderful. You do need to make reservations as soon as they become available online.

I have been doing some research for my next visit to Rome next spring. What is recommended is: Baths of Caracalla, and Capitoline Museums.

Constructed in the third century AD, the Baths of Caracalla are an imposing complex of structures built as one of the largest public bathing complex in the ancient Empire. A modern-day concert venue, glimpses of this site’s former splendor (especially some exquisite mosaics) are still visible today. The Baths are only a short distance from the Colosseum, yet they're usually deserted.

Never overcrowded, the Capitoline Museums also happen to house the second largest collection of ancient art in the world (after the Vatican Museums, of course). But ancient artifacts aren’t the only things on view here. You can trace the entirety of Roman history through the treasures on display—Renaissance frescoes, bronze statuary, even ancient tablets inscribed in Latin. The Museums are also artifacts themselves: Two of the palazzi that house the collection were built between 1500 and 1600.
    One practical detail: The Capitoline Museums are air conditioned. Although that's not necessarily a selling point on a temperate spring day, when it’s a sweltering 95 degrees in the middle of August, it might be reason enough for a visit.

Sant’Ignazio
    A Baroque church famous for its spectacular ceiling frescoes, Sant'Ignazio is an incredible example of illusion. Due to a trick of the eye, much of the decorations appear 3D—some have architectural elements added to increase the effect. Head toward the dome and see if you can discover for yourself the “fix” they decided upon after the the donors backed out. Via del Caravita, 8A

Santa Maria della Pace
    You'll find this church just around the corner from Piazza Navona; head to the Chigi Chapel to see Raphael’s Sibyls. The church's limited opening hours depend on whether the custodian is around, so if the doors are locked check out the nearby Chiostro di Bramante, located just to the left of the church. The cloister is one of the most perfect architectural spaces in the world and an inspiration to a whole generation of Renaissance artists, including Michelangelo. Head to the second-floor lounge, just past the cafe; there is a window that actually looks into the church and frames Raphael’s fresco. Where else can you view a Raphael with a coffee or cocktail in hand? Via della Pace, 5

Gelateria del Teatro
    Sometimes a break just means a refreshing cup of gelato. One of our favorites is hidden down a narrow, dead-end side street just beyond Piazza Navona: Gelateria del Teatro. They use only the purest, freshest ingredient, and if you're lucky enough to be there when they finish the newest batch, you might get to taste it straight out of the machine! Cioccolato con Nero d’Avola is consistently one of our favorites. It’s worth the trek to find it (and don’t worry, we still get lost sometimes, too). Look for the ice cream cone-shaped, hand-painted sign. Via di San Simone, 70
  • Options
    I think you may be a bit overly ambitious for a two day itinerary. That's a lot of ground to cover. Check the rail schedules at RailEurope.com or look at train travel on Google maps and I think you'll see what I mean. Orvieto is a reasonable day trip (about an hour each way from Rome). You'll have to walk up the hill or take the funicular (plus some walking) to get to the tourist area around the cathedral. Your second day is where I think you'll be pressed for time. I think it would be hard to do justice to Pompeii AND Amalfi in one day. Do you have a tour operator in mind for that tour? Are you planning on taking the tour from Rome or taking the train to Naples and meeting your tour there? It's about two hours from Rome to Naples by train. Add local transportation time and I just don't see how you would see much of Pompeii and Amalfi.
  • Options
    I am glad you were able to answer this question Ken. Some people are happy to take a glance at a place to just say they have been there instead of taking time to soak up the atmosphere, scenery, people, food. Most people who have the good fortune to visit Italy with Tauck will want to go again and visit another area, so it seems a shame to rush around just to see a little more, but not properly. I remember my visit to Pompeii with Tauck as one of my favorite travel highlights, the guide, Carmine was a good looking fellow who had lived in the city I am from. We spent a long unhurried guided walk with him. Most importantly, there was a strike of some sort going on in that part of Italy, so we had to leave extra early to get there before the strikers built a bonfire in the middle of the main highway to block off our route. The follow up Naples museum visit to see some of the artifacts that have been removed from the site, would have been a disaster without him, the museum was on strike but he hammered on the door and said if they did not open up, they would have a group of angry American tourists to deal with. They let us in, we did our tour and then they closed up again. How about that! To see Pompeii after learning so much history about the former conquerors of dear old England at Primary school, was one of my dreams come true! Italy really is a great place to visit and I look forward to another tour there with Tauck later in the year.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file