Stockholm

We are staying an extra day in Stockholm. Was wondering what would be some recommendations to see on the extra day. Would it be beneficial to see the Vasa Museum even though we will be having our arrival dinner there?

Comments

• Our welcome dinner was in hotel. You have plenty of time to see vasa on city tour. You might want to go to palace that the royal family lives at. I did tour of the palace in old town. Make sure you are there when the changing of guard in the afternoon. That was great. The outdoor museum near vasa was worth it. I, also, did the armory and the noble museum.
  • Dublin wrote:
    We are staying an extra day in Stockholm. Was wondering what would be some recommendations to see on the extra day. Would it be beneficial to see the Vasa Museum even though we will be having our arrival dinner there?

It looks as if you are doing the small ship cruise of the Baltic. I did this tour last year, except I started in Copenhagen. The farewell dinner was at the Vasa Museum and we were given a tour of the museum and a talk about the ship prior to dinner. We had quite a bit of time to see the exhibits.

During the free time I went to the Royal Artillery Museum after watching the changing of the guard.. It is under the palace in the city. In addition to the weapons, there was also some royal clothing from various eras and in the basement a number of royal coaches. I also walked through the pedestrian shopping area.

The canal ride was interesting. I know that you visit Drottingholm Palace on the tour with Tauck. There is a boat that takes you out there which might be nice to do if the weather is good on your free day. I do not have any information on it but saw where it was available.

This tour is one of my five favorites with Tauck. (I have been on 23.) It was quite fascinating. Hope that you enjoy it.
  • Kathy18: I'd love to hear what your five favorite trips are with Tauck. If you could share them I would certainly appreciate it. My wife and I are doing the cruise of the Baltic this June and looking forward to it vey much. Many thanks, Bill
  • Kathy18: I'd love to hear what your five favorite trips are with Tauck. If you could share them I would certainly appreciate it. My wife and I are doing the cruise of the Baltic this June and looking forward to it vey much. Many thanks, Bill

Bill,

I should mention that I have loved all of the tours that I have done with Tauck which have included events, small ship, riverboat and land journeys so it is always difficult to say that there are only five top ones. These are the ones which always come to mind first and not necessarily in this order.

Manitoba to see the polar bears. We did see some and since the weather cleared up when we were there, we got lucky and saw the Northern Lights.

Iceland - It is warmer than one might think and the culture and people are amazing.

Baltic cruise and St. Petersburg - All of these places were unique but St. Petersburg was fascinating. I am not sure if it helped to make it more interesting to me or not, but I read the book, Sunlight at Midnight before I went and it made it more real for me. My traveling companion also loved the city and she hadn't read the book.

Grand Alaska - This tour has changed somewhat since I took it but the scenery is magnificent.

New Orleans - It always surprises me when I add this since it is not as exotic as the others, but it was done in such a way that it is memorable. I enhanced the Tauck tour by taking a walking tour through the Garden District to supplement the streetcar one with Tauck and an evening walking tour through the French Quarter. Tauck does a daytime walking tour of the French Quarter and I am not adventurous to go out at night so I opted to see the French Quarter at night with an added tour. Most of the people with us had no problems walking around alone at night on Bourbon Street.

If I wanted to add more, I would include the riverboat from Brussels to Amsterdam, the Grand Canadian Rockies, Hawaii and as a Civil War buff, On Hallowed Ground.

I hope that this was helpful and interesting. I sometimes get carried away when I start talking about my tours.

Kathy
  • Kathy,

Thank you for your response. You certainly do have a varied list of places you have visited and you hit the hot spot with my wife Kathy when you mentioned the Canadian Rockies and Alaska and me with the Civil War tour now that we live in Northern Virginia. Most of our 12 trips to Europe have been on the Grand Circle riverboats but after taking the Christmas Market cruises over the past two years on Tauck, we are now hooked...a dangerous thing now that we both have retired!

Again, many thanks for your response. You have given us much to think about!

Best, Bill
  • Kathy,

Thank you for your response. You certainly do have a varied list of places you have visited and you hit the hot spot with my wife Kathy when you mentioned the Canadian Rockies and Alaska and me with the Civil War tour now that we live in Northern Virginia. Most of our 12 trips to Europe have been on the Grand Circle riverboats but after taking the Christmas Market cruises over the past two years on Tauck, we are now hooked...a dangerous thing now that we both have retired!

Again, many thanks for your response. You have given us much to think about!

Best, Bill

Bill.

I got hooked on Tauck many years ago after taking my first tour. They do a great job. Whatever tour you decide, you can relax knowing that everything will be done to make it run smoothly!

Living on the East Coast, I had done many of the sites on the Civil War tour on my own. My friends couldn't understand why I would do a tour to places that I could easily drive. When I did it with the On Hallowed Ground tour, there was someone at each stop to explain it. It was easier to visual what was occurring when someone was telling me and not just reading the information from the signs and brochures.

Tell your wife that the scenery in the Canadian Rockies and Alaska may be similar (mountains), but the experience is totally different.

Enjoy your travels.
    Kathy
  • Dublin wrote:
    Stockholm is a Capital of Sweden and Vasa Museum is a nice place to explore there. If you are interested to visit this place first then it will be a great option and definitely your arrival dinner at Vasa Museum will not be a bad option. don't worry about it and go for it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file