Swimwear: To pack or not to pack?

Hello everyone,

I'm looking forward to my first Tauck tour... I'll be on the October 12 Art of Living Barcelona to Paris tour and can't decide if it's worth including swimsuit and coverups in my carryon-only luggage. Are the spa opportunities really worth my limited space? If so, great! If not, no need to worry about the appropriate coverage!* I'd appreciate your input.

*Is it usual and customary to include some R&R time on Tauck tours or will I be too taken up with activities and other fun to bother? It looks like the hotels on this tour are often hotel/spas so that's what piqued my interest and questions.

(Note: I originally posted this in the specific Barcelona to Paris Forum, but it's pretty lonely and underused there, so I thought I try a more active forum!)

Comments

• Hi Stellag,

I'm not sure I understand the background to your question. Are you saying you are not planning to take checked luggage? Just hand luggage? I'm wondering why you would do this. Tauck take care of your luggage from the transfer on arrival to departure. That's all covered in the cost of your Tauck trip.

Cheers,

Jan
  • I have brought my suit on several trips and just never had the time to use it. Whenever we have free time I seem to always find something else to explore. So I guess you need to decide just how you will spend your free time.
  • We have done seven tours and always take ours because several hotels have pools and it is often a great way to relax.
    Richard
  • You don't need this ;)
  • It really depends on your schedule. But for emergency or rather uncalled moments, I think you should pack some.
  • Hi Stellag,
    Well I had been to Paris quite a few times till now and I always carried my beach dress and swimsuits with me. The hotels generally have great pools and it comes in handy when you need to relax. It just depends on the way you plan to utilize your free time over there but I would recommend you to pack a few just in case you feel like swimming sometimes.
  • You should carry atleast two swimsuits with you. You never know when you feel like swimming.
  • Absolutely. We had a wonderful swim in Versaille.
  • I must be missing something here....you are worried about packing a swimsuit, especially if it is a bikini (woman) or pair of shorts (man)? How much space does a swimsuit take? Or, are you packing several of them with multiple coverups and beach towels? Most of the hotels, if not all, have robes in your room to use as a coverup and extra towels. I would think one swimsuit would be plenty and won't cause an overpacking situation, but I don't know how much other stuff you are taking. From what I have seen on tours and in here, a lot of people overpack. If you aren't going to wear it three times (for two week tours), it stays home....pack some small accessories to make outfits look like something new and you'll have space for your swimsuit. If, like Jan has asked, you are just taking a carryon, it might make a difference. Remember, you can always stop in a store and buy a swimsuit on the first day and then throw it away when you leave for home.

• Always pack some swimwear! You'll regret it if you don't.

And if you forget, there'll always be somewhere to pick up some swimwear! Have fun!
  • Well I'm taking ONE pair of swimming trunks for the on-board jacuzzi. I wouldn't want to scare the heck out of my fellow passengers trying to skinny dip !
    The one pair will dry overnight.
  • Ah, someone with my sense of humor!
  • British wrote:
    Ah, someone with my sense of humor!
    That reminds me ... vale Christopher Lee.

(Lateral thinking necessary .....)