Scandinavia Tour Beginning July 17, 2015

My wife and I will be on the Scandinavia tour beginning July 17, 2015 in Stockholm, Sweden. We plan to arrive in Stockholm a day early and are looking for suggestions on what to see and do that are not already included in the tour. In addition to Stockholm, the tour goes to Copenhagen in Denmark, and Oslo and Bergen in Norway. This is our first trip to Scandinavia so we would also appreciate any travel tips, for example customs and tipping, when going to Scandinavia.

We will share suggestions here, that we get from other sources. We would also like to hear from other guests that may be taking this same tour so we can share ideas, and in case we want to coordinate an excursion that is not on the Tauck itinerary.

Comments

• If you can look into when the guard change is in front os the place. It is really something to see and it is free. I also toured some museums at the place and the Nobel prize museum. Can also look into a harbor cruise.
  • edited January 2015
    You will be embarking on one of the best Tauck trips! My husband and I had a blast when we went several years ago. It's a frenetic pace, but you will see how much you cover. Stockholm is a very beautiful city...lots to see and do. Don't miss the Nobel museum and the castle. Also, check out the very old restaurants in the city.

Restaurant in Stockholm: Den Gylden Freden.

Restaurant in Bergen: To Kokker.
  • Crackers54 and Susan, thank you for your responses. We will definitely add the Nobel Prize Museum to our itinerary and check out those restaurants. We also heard the Munch Museum in Oslo is interesting and they have The Scream on exhibit so we will add that as well.
  • Let's discuss Oslo. The trip, unfortunately, doesn't give you enough time to see this fascinating city. Just pick what you're interested in. We enjoyed visiting the Fram Museum and Thor Heyerdahl's Kon-Tiki. We rushed those two and made it to the art museum for a quick visit. Tauck should really expand the stay; you need at least 2 nights in Oslo.
  • jfranson: The Scandinavia trip was my first with Tauck and I absolutely loved it! So many people are bi-lingual, so using English is not a problem in the Scandinavian countries. I am scheduled for Tauck trips #8 and #9 this summer. I also arrived in Stockholm a day early. The Sheraton is in a perfect location. You can walk easily in and around the old town -- Gamla Stan which is very nice to explore. On the free day, I took a boat/ferry -- easy walk from hotel to get to on a trip to Drottningholm --which is a royal palace. ( I checked and it does not appear to be part of the official itinerary, at least it was not when I went.) I remember an enjoyable boat ride to get there, walking the gardens, and general touring. I got details on the admissions, boat tour schedule, etc all off the internet. I also made a reservation to go the Icebar which is a relatively easy walk from hotel. (Again, I mapped it all off the internet beforehand) . If you have never been to an icebar, it is all ice , including your glass. They give you a heavy 'coat' to wear inside. One drink was included with each admission. It was a nice way to cool off and refresh after the day of touring! You will have a great time. When in Flam, ask the waiter if they still have the Viking cheese.
  • Vivamus, thank you for all the suggestions. I looked up the Icebar by Icehotel on the Internet and it looks very interesting and we have never been to one so will add that to our itinerary. And any opportunity to take a ferry is always interesting so we will look into Drottningholm.
  • jfranson11 wrote:
    Crackers54 and Susan, thank you for your responses. We will definitely add the Nobel Prize Museum to our itinerary and check out those restaurants. We also heard the Munch Museum in Oslo is interesting and they have The Scream on exhibit so we will add that as well.
    I recommend skipping the included lunch in Oslo. It was not very good and took to much time. The city hall is not far from were the bus lets off for lunch and from there can walk to the scream not far from hotel. After museums close can go to the opera house and walk on the roof. After that we used the bathrooms and walked back to were included luch was for supper and found a great place to eat outside by the water. I went in June and we had great weather.
  • We just returned from the SC05 trip (12 Jun 2015). We also arrived early in Stockholm and had beautiful weather for our arrival. We elected to do a ferry trip through the archipelago to Sandhamn [Take the "Cinderella II" to the end of the line]. We had lunch on the island, and then did the return ferry to the city. It took most of the day....but was very scenic...and a great way to see the sights of the city. If it's a sunny day, I would give this trip a strong recommendation.

That evening we ate at Fem Sma Hus (Five small houses). This restaurant [near the palace] has very quaint cellar seating, and provided one of the best meals of our vacation. Well worth the effort if you have time.
  • Thank you for the recommendations Putt for Par. Both the ferry trip and the restaurant sound great. If the weather cooperates we will try to do both, otherwise at least the restaurant.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file