Options

Australia/New Zealand

Anyone traveling on the Dec. 14 2015 trip?

Comments

• Options
    Hello, I am traveling on the Dec. 14th trip. LAX is my home airport. This should be a great trip. I am a bit concerned about "missing out' on some of the things they list due to National Holidays of Christmas and Boxing Days.
  • Options
    Tauck have been doing this tour for many years, so I am sure they are used to either rearranging the itinerary for you or finding an alternative that is just as fun or informative. I have taken this tour in it!s two separate forms. Enjoy
  • Options
    THM wrote:
    Hello, I am traveling on the Dec. 14th trip. LAX is my home airport. This should be a great trip. I am a bit concerned about "missing out' on some of the things they list due to National Holidays of Christmas and Boxing Days.
    Well, I do wonder why you would choose to come at that time of year in the first place ... given it's the worst time to visit the outback, it's the rainy & cyclone season in the tropical north & you'll face dubious weather elsewhere.
  • Options
    Well I am glad you mentioned this Jan and not me being a killjoy for a change!
  • Options
    I'm always suggesting a better season to visit! When I speak to my local travel contacts and ask why Americans, in particular, always seem to want to visit over Christmas and New Year ... they just shrug. They don't seem to know why, either. It can't be people don't realise we are in the Southern Hemisphere. Or that the desert is really, really, dangerously hot in summer. Or that rain can be a let down. Or that cyclones can be quite disruptive, let alone destructive. That would be too silly!
  • Options
    I did this trip mid November and had great weather for the whole trip.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    We traveled the 3rd week of January and had an outstanding time. Tauck was excellent in accommodating the varying weather conditions we encountered and only one person from our group was at all put out.(This individual should have been back at the country club in Florida and not traveling.) Yes the Red Center of Australia is HOT but there is low humidity. We are from Las Vegas so we can handle it. Everyone else can also by hydrating, wearing the proper clothing and head gear. Yes we went from the Red Center to a huge cyclone. Schedules were seamlessly rearranged so we could do the Great Barrier Reef. It was an experience from sudden water falls to a bit of flooding. A surprise summer snowstorm in Queenstown sent most to the various shops for another jacket. It helped the wool sales. We really had a great time. If you are not flexible or cannot be responsive to changing conditions perhaps you should reconsider your travel options.
  • Options
    crackers54 wrote:
    I did this trip mid November and had great weather for the whole trip.
    Yes, indeed. November is a decent compromise. Certainly better than over the solstice.
  • Options
    lvgregger wrote:
    We traveled the 3rd week of January and had an outstanding time. Tauck was excellent in accommodating the varying weather conditions we encountered and only one person from our group was at all put out.(This individual should have been back at the country club in Florida and not traveling.) Yes the Red Center of Australia is HOT but there is low humidity. We are from Las Vegas so we can handle it. Everyone else can also by hydrating, wearing the proper clothing and head gear. Yes we went from the Red Center to a huge cyclone. Schedules were seamlessly rearranged so we could do the Great Barrier Reef. It was an experience from sudden water falls to a bit of flooding. A surprise summer snowstorm in Queenstown sent most to the various shops for another jacket. It helped the wool sales. We really had a great time. If you are not flexible or cannot be responsive to changing conditions perhaps you should reconsider your travel options.
    Yes, later January is better than the solstice, as I said. But I would still ask you ... why did you choose January to visit us? I'm relieved you had a good time, but there are so many better times to visit. And yes, again, about being flexible. Cyclones will do that to you! Was that the only time you had available?

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Jan's advice about weather is excellent. Even a six week difference in dates traveling just about anywhere can really change the weather you may encounter. Anyone considering this tour should be wise enough to check weather really carefully before they make a decision about when to tour. For those who are retired and don't have a job or short vacation-time to work around, that should be much easier. But in reality, just by reading all the forums for different parts of the world, remarkably many people appear to book their vacation and then check out the weather. That way there can be hidden surprises, like friends I have who booked a trip to Paris in February expecting to have glorious weather.
    When we wanted to finally get to see Australia and New Zealnd after studying the countries in elementary school, watching 'Skippy the Bush Kangaroo' and tolerating my kids watching Kylie Minogue in 'Neighbours' and working with so many Australian colleagues and my big project on New Zealand as a child. Even both my kids managed to get there before we did, my daughter twice-- visiting a friend in Melbourne for almost two weeks Jan! So we were already aware of the challenging weather differences in both countries, our other consideration was time and money. We had to put aside the consideration of paying twice over for such long flights and decided to do Australia and New Zealand as separate trips, split over a two or three year timespan, that way we were not running into not having enough vacation time and could chose the better times to visit for weather. We could also extend each trip a little to see a bit more of each country. Other good reasons, you can take less clothing, first because the trip is shorter, second, if it's not blisteringly hot or very cold, maybe clothing can be worn several times before laundering and no need for coats. Personally, my body is no good in hot weather these days.
    We particularly benefited from seeing Uluru in lovely moderate weather, no flies, a cool start to walk round the rock, finishing before any notable heat became a problem. Site seeing in the other parts of the country was pleasant, it's always less tiring when it's not hot. I just would not have enjoyed New Zealand in the winter, sailing on Milford Sound and walking around Queenstown, just two examples I would not have wanted to do in snow. We had lovely weather there this past January, and darn it, those who joined us from the Australia tour brought and gave a nasty virus to our New Zealand group.
    Again, I am just asking anyone who has not booked the tour to do research and decide what combinationn is good for your particular situation before forking out a huge amount of money to be surprised by unexpected weather when you arrive.
  • Options
    THM wrote:

I'm traveling from Miami to LA to Melbourne. I wouldn't worry about the holidays. See you in Dec.
  • Options
    I apologize if this has been covered before. I want to do the combined Australia / New Zealand trip sometime in 2017 (as soon as Tauck releases the dates). For those of you familiar with the varying weather / temperature issues in these two locations, could you please suggest a month that you think would give the best chance for a good experience in both places? Thanks for any advice.
  • Options
    I am sure the folks that live in Australia will be on to tell you. I did this in November and it was perfect for Australia and New Zealand was just starting summer when I left. Was very lucky and had very little rain. The Aussie folks recommend March for Australia, but I am not sure what weather you will get in New Zealand cause that would be probably going into their fall. I arrived on November 10 for tour starting on the 12th I think. I took the tour to the 7 sisters. It was all day but I got a good nights sleep my 1st night arrival.
  • Options
    I am a Melbourne resident and I am also familiar with the basics of New Zealand weather. Given your journey parameters, I'd respectfully suggest early November or March. I would suggest March over November. It's a hard call, but I am steering you away from the excesses of high summer in Australia, the worst of the rainy and, hopefully, cyclone season in the tropical north. For NZ, the climate is more temperate. Early Autumn in NZ should not be anything like the outset of winter that you are used to at home! You are covering such a large geographic area in such a short time. Weather will of course be varied, to say the least. It's a very hard call to choose when you really are doing a Down Under version of "It's Tuesday so it Must be Belgium."

Whatever you do, please, please try to arrive early ... by 2 / 3 days at least ... and stay on in Auckland. I am repeatedly being told that Americans don't get jet lag and that your definition of arriving early is the day before. Even if you are indeed super human, you can spend the extra time doing some local exploring. Personally, I don't want to waste the first 3 days of a trip being either discombobulated or just plain asleep at all the wrong times and thus missing something I have paid a lot of money to see and experience. Alternatively, I could just sleep at home. I don't claim to be super human. Wearing undies on the outside is just so passé.

Cheers,

Jan

• Options
    Jan: Thanks for this very helpful information. Looks like March is my best bet (just after retirement). I want to cobble together several land trips, cruises and some independent time to spend 6 - 8 weeks exploring those areas. Totally agree with the concept of arriving 3 - 4 days before the first tour to be ready to go.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    smarks50 wrote:
    Jan: Thanks for this very helpful information. Looks like March is my best bet (just after retirement). I want to cobble together several land trips, cruises and some independent time to spend 6 - 8 weeks exploring those areas. Totally agree with the concept of arriving 3 - 4 days before the first tour to be ready to go.

If you have the extra time to play a real trip, please consider including Tasmania in your plans. It is our secret treasure. The climate would be perfect for February!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    Bob7740 wrote:
    Anyone traveling on the Dec. 14 2015 trip?
    Hi Bob, glad you will be on the same trip. I am flying out of LAX as it is my local airport. I am 60 a single female with 4 kids, and an empty nester. This is my first trip going solo. Where are you from and are you traveling with anyone else you know? I am arriving 2 days early and trying to stay one day at the end. If you are flying out of LAX, we can discuss the flight and see if we are on the same planes. If not, I will see you in Melbourne!
    Tina
    tinamosbey@gmail.com
  • Options
    THM wrote:
    Hi Bob, glad you will be on the same trip. I am flying out of LAX as it is my local airport. I am 60 a single female with 4 kids, and an empty nester. This is my first trip going solo. Where are you from and are you traveling with anyone else you know? I am arriving 2 days early and trying to stay one day at the end. If you are flying out of LAX, we can discuss the flight and see if we are on the same planes. If not, I will see you in Melbourne!
    Tina
    tinamosbey@gmail.com
    Hi Tina,
    I am also traveling alone. I am a widow mother of 2 grandmother of 5. I am 66 years old. I am leaving New York (JFK) on 12-12-15 but don't arrive until the morning of 12-14-15. Would love to connect with you once I arrive. I have done quite a bit of travel alone for business but always knew someone at my destination. Actually I did business with several Australian companies and I am going to contact them before I leave to see if I can possibly see them for a drink. My name is Adrienne but everyone calls me by my nickname Dinny. Looking forward to hearing from you and meeting you i Australia.
    Dinny silver55@optonline.net
  • Options
    Bob7740 wrote:
    I'm traveling from Miami to LA to Melbourne. I wouldn't worry about the holidays. See you in Dec.
    Hi Bob,
    I am also traveling on the trip Dec14th. I am leaving from JFK on the 12th and arriving the morning of the 14th in Melbourne. I am a 66 year old widow. I have 2 married children and 5 grandchildren. I live on Long Island. My name is Adrienne but everyone calls me Dinny. I hope to hear from you or I guess we will meet in Melbourne. Safe travel.
    Dinny
    silver55@optonline.net
  • Options
    I was eagerly waiting for my trip.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file