Is Grotta Azzurra worthwhile?

I will be traveling with the Classic Italy Oct 13-27 tour. I'm looking forward to meeting my tour mates & exploring this beautiful country for the first time. I plan on arriving a day before the first evening meet up. Can anyone advise me whether it is worth it to try to go to Capri's Grotta Azzurra? I've heard from some that it is not worth the time, price & hassle. I've also heard from others that is shouldn't be missed. If it is worthwhile, what is the best way to get there (quickest & most hassle-free)? I'd appreciate any words of wisdom!

Comments

• I advise taking the fast ferry to Capri and tour around island that includes the grotto. You can then take the vineclar (sp) to top and have lunch. I found nice place overlooking the water, then walked around and went back down for fast ferry. I had time to swim in pool before getting ready for welcome dinner. The boat around the island was fun. The grotto can't always be done. It depends on the water do to very small opening.
  • edited October 2015
    Thank you, Crackers54! I appreciate your input!
    Do you recall how much the whole excursion cost? I hear the Grotto boat rowers demand big tips & the line of boats to enter the Grotto is long.
  • You catch the ferry right out back of the hotel. Just nd to take elevator.
  • We did a day tour of Capri before our Small Group Classic Italy tour started in the evening. We joined a small group tour booked through the hotel (La Favorita) for 80 euros/person including pickup and dropoff at the hotel, the boat trip to and around Capri (including some sightseeing of the Amalfi Coast from the water), a panini at a restaurant in Marina Piccolo on Capri, and a couple of hours of free time on the island. Our boat had 9 of us and our captain/guide (Pasquale). I'm not sure what was the name of the tour company but the staff at the front desk/concierge desk should be able to help.

We were so happy to have taken the tour we did. We didn't have to stress out about making it back to the hotel with time to get ready for our welcome reception. We also found the sightseeing from the water to be fantastic. We saw the Green Grotto and the White Grotto and had the opportunity to do the Blue Grotto but everyone decided to skip it on Pasquale's recommendation. Seeing the Blue Grotto at 15 euros per person and waiting for your turn for a rowboat ride for a few minutes actually in the grotto is quite the rip-off. Pasquale took us to another place where the water was the same shade of blue (although we couldn't enter a cave) and we were all happy. He did offer us the opportunity to swim under a waterfall but the day was chilly so we all passed. Capri town was much more packed with tourists than we expected. We meandered off the beaten path just to get some peace and quiet.

One caveat on going the small boat route is that some degree of agility and comfort on boats is required. No gangplanks were used -- we had to climb on/off boats with assistance from Pasquale and others) and we tendered ashore in a rubber dinghy to actually set foot on Capri. I had a few moments when I was afraid I was going to experience swimming in the blue waters NOT by choice although that thankfully didn't happen. Larger tours (and the ferries) use larger boats (with gangplanks) and dock at Marina Grande in Capri and so would not have been nearly as "adventurous".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file