Options

Indochina: Vietnam, Cambodia, & Laos Oct 7, 2015 Tour

I took this tour....my first experience with Tauck. It was fantastic.....I plan to take more tours in the future with Tauck. As for the Indochina tour the hotels were excellent quality and well situated. The food was very good for the most part....the buffet breakfast was great everyday. The tour director, Marie Gratton, did a great job and I was impressed at how smoothly the tour was executed...everything we did was started and completed on time and efficiently. I am sure there is some luck involved here...but it was obvious that the tour was well organized.

Also, the content of the tour was comprehensive and the local tour guides were all very knowledgeable, entertaining, and spoke very good English.

My only suggestion for future tours is that there be more dinning flexibility.....there was too much food (37 meals were provided) and the interval between meals was sometimes too short. I for one only eat twice a day and would have preferred the option of not eating dinner , especially after consuming a large breakfast and large lunch. I know I could have skipped some of the meals provided or consumed less at each meal but.....

Anyway, my perception was that a good time was had by all on the tour.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Sidney!!
    Loved hearing a great report on your Indochina trip. I am going on the December 2015 tour (this will be my 3rd Tauck trip). I am very excited and cannot wait to leave. Any suggestions?? Any recommendations for free time??

Thanks,
    Nancy
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Nanos wrote:
    Hi Sidney!!
    Loved hearing a great report on your Indochina trip. I am going on the December 2015 tour (this will be my 3rd Tauck trip). I am very excited and cannot wait to leave. Any suggestions?? Any recommendations for free time??

Thanks,
    Nancy

Nancy...there is not a lot of free time unless you skip some of the local tours which is what I did. For instance when we were in Hoi An I did not go on the cooking tour and the visit to the lantern making plant. Instead I rented a car and driver ($20 per hour for a brand new Mercedes) and took a four hour tour of the area including Da Nang which is 16 miles north of Hoi An. Also I did not go on the 3 hour tour of the rice farm in Laos. I took several tours on my own at night via "tuk tuk" which was a very cheap way of getting around.

When you are in Saigon make sure you go to the top of the Bitexco Bldg to the observatory on the 55th floor before dark...it is within walking distance of the hotel if you are into long walks.

I suggest that you go 1 or 2 days early...to get your head on straight.

As for walking around on your own....I did not feel uncomfortable with my safety. Obviously, don't walk down any deserted or dark alleys.
  • Options
    Thanks, Sidney

Yes, going 'east' early..traveling with 2 couples. We are going to Hong Kong for five days in advance of the trip to acclimate to the time and to tour (have arranged a private guide for 2 days) and shop! Will be arriving in Hanoi the morning that the tour begins. Anything thoughts for our half day in Hanoi before the welcome reception? Nancy
  • Options
    Yes...your hotel is located in/near "Old Town". Several of us early arrivals took a walk around Old Town with a local Tauck tour guide.

Also, make sure you take a walk after dark around the lake nearby the hotel....it is well lighted and there are many people around.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file