Options

Herculaneum vs Vesuvius??

We are on the 22 May trip, arriving 2 days early- midday on the 20th. We plan to chill and possibly explore Sorrento that afternoon/evening (and try to stay awake/adjust our body clocks to the new time).

We have booked a car and driver/guide for the next day and originally planned to visit the Antifeatro Flavio (coliseum, smaller than Rome's but less crowed and more accessible) and other nearby sights (Temple of Serapis, Solfatara, a small steaming caldera right in town, etc.) in Pozzuoli (NW suburb of Naples), then spend some time at the National Archeological Museum in Naples. It contains a lot of the really good stuff (statuary, friezes, mosaics, frescoes, etc. removed from Pompei when it was first discovered. If time and Naples traffic(!!!)permit, we plan to make a stop at Herculaneum on the way back to Sorrento.

So here is my quandry- I recently viewed an episode of Rick Steves' Europe. During his tour of Naples he made a trip to the top of Mt. Vesuvius. Except for possibly the steep 30 min. walk from the car park to the rim, it looked like something we might like to do- see the caldera from the rim as well as take in sweeping vistas of Naples, the Bay of Naples, Capri, and surrounding area. So many things to see and do, so little time!

We tour Pompei with Tauck two days later. Heculaneum is smaller than Pompei, but are there any significant differences? Are there more or different things to see in Herculaneum than Pompei, etc.?

We can't do it all, but if it works out that there will be enough time to drive to and walk to the top of Vesuvius if we SKIP Solfatara and Herculaneum, - should we do that?- forego Solfatara and Herculaneum in favor of Vesuvius???

(We will be touring Capri on the 22nd)

Comments

• Options
    I have read that Heculaneum is better preserved. I believe it might be closer to Rome.
  • Options
    crackers54 wrote:
    I have read that Heculaneum is better preserved. I believe it might be closer to Rome.

Herculaneum is located between Naples and Sorrento (We are staying in Sorrento where this tour starts). Much less of Herculaneum has been excavated since it is in the city/neighborhoods (much of it still below existing houses and buildings) and it is much smaller than Pompei. You can see both on Google Earth, but is harder to locate Herculaneum.

Anyone else have experience or an opinion?
  • Options
    Following a Tauck tour last May that ended in Rome, I met my adult children for four nights on the Amalfi coast. I had booked a day tour that went to Pompeii, Vesuvius and Sorrento, but because of weather conditions (rain, fog), Vesuvius was closed, so the driver substituted Herculaneum. So, I can't compare Herculaneum and Vesuvius, but can compare Herculaneum and Pompeii. Pompeii is much more extensive, and, I think, impressive, than Herculaneum. Herculaneum is quite compact, and is right downtown -- surrounded by apartment buildings, with laundry hanging on the back porches overlooking the ruins. It is a very different feeling from Pompeii. Some of the frescoes are much better preserved (or restored) than Pompeii. I'm glad that I got to see both, but I think that a trip up Vesuvius might be the better choice, so that you can experience something different than ruins.
  • Options
    MCD wrote:
    Following a Tauck tour last May that ended in Rome, I met my adult children for four nights on the Amalfi coast. I had booked a day tour that went to Pompeii, Vesuvius and Sorrento, but because of weather conditions (rain, fog), Vesuvius was closed, so the driver substituted Herculaneum. So, I can't compare Herculaneum and Vesuvius, but can compare Herculaneum and Pompeii. Pompeii is much more extensive, and, I think, impressive, than Herculaneum. Herculaneum is quite compact, and is right downtown -- surrounded by apartment buildings, with laundry hanging on the back porches overlooking the ruins. It is a very different feeling from Pompeii. Some of the frescoes are much better preserved (or restored) than Pompeii. I'm glad that I got to see both, but I think that a trip up Vesuvius might be the better choice, so that you can experience something different than ruins.

Thanks! The results of P vs H searches yielded conflicting opinions, there were no results for V vs H. The photos and comments on TripAdvisor give both H and P generally high marks. Many years ago I toured Pompei but more buildings have been cleared and restored since then, but will it be "see one Roman city buried by a volcano, you've seen them all"??

Also, after the drive in Naples traffic and touring the Pozzuoli sites and the Archeological Museum which may take more time than I think, it may be that there won't be enough time to do either Vesuvius or Herculaneum. I'll probably need to rely on our driver/guide to make that determination.

Two other considerations- While we are both in decent shape, we may not have or want to expend the energy it will take to climb Vesuvius and we don't want to be so tired that we won't be able enjoy Capri the following day or the first few days of the tour. Secondly, the weather, may make going to the top of Vesuvius a moot point.

Anyone else have any comments or suggestions?
  • Options
    First up I realise I haven't posted in a while but the merry-go-round I have to go through just to sign on is not user friendly but this topic is something I can comment on.

In my opinion Herculaneum is a must see if you're in the area. Because of the different type of ash that enveloped the town after the eruption Herculaneum is almost perfectly preserved where Pompeii is a very big Roman ruin. I have visited them both. Herculaneum has beautifully preserved houses and mosaics and walking its streets you can actually look up to see what a Roman house/business really looked like. There is even a perfectly preserved rope beside a well. I kid you not. I truly enjoyed my time in Herculaneum. My amateur photos bring back those memories every time I look at them. Pompeii is a great site to visit but Herculaneum is just down the road/rail and is worth the trip.

As for Vesuvius it is a pretty tough climb after a bus takes you part way there and when you get there it really is just a smoking hole in the ground. Without its history it would be the same as the active volcano on White Island just off the coast of the North Island of New Zealand.

We were based in Rome for these trips and visited all those attractions using the train. Crowded but cheap.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Thanks, your comments and my further research which indicates a lot of money and effort are being devoted to Herculaneum (the Herculaneum Project directed and partially funded by The Getty Conservation Institute) not only convinced me to take in Herculaneum, but to adjust our schedule and/or pay for another hour if necessary, to be sure we have at least 2 hours to see it!!
  • Options
    Napoli is one of my favorite cities in Italy. I been to both Vesuvius and Herculaneum and both are spectacular. I think I prefer Vesuvius, just to climb something that is so extraordinary. During my trip in napoli I also went to the underwater archeological park of baia, which is a city of ruins underwater. If you don't want to get wet, there is also the Sotterranea, which is an ancient city, preserved under the city of napoli that your can walk through. This is a must see. All the culture and attractions of Napoli are unique. I spent a week sailing the gulf of napoli (also being able to see ischia, procida and capri) through intersailclub.com. They organize sailing vacations at a great and affordable price. Definitely a great way to see this area of Italy.
  • Options
    Napoli is one of my favorite cities in Italy. I been to both Vesuvius and Herculaneum and both are spectacular. I think I prefer Vesuvius, just to climb something that is so extraordinary. During my trip in napoli I also went to the underwater archeological park of baia, which is a city of ruins underwater. If you don't want to get wet, there is also the Sotterranea, which is an ancient city, preserved under the city of napoli that your can walk through. This is a must see. All the culture and attractions of Napoli are unique. I spent a week sailing the gulf of napoli (also being able to see ischia, procida and capri) through intersailclub.com. They organize sailing vacations at a great and affordable price. Definitely a great way to see this area of Italy.

Thanks.

Believe it or not, 35 years ago, I actually scuba dived Baia with some Navy buddies. I don't remember if it was a national U/W park back then and also don't remember if it was off limits or if a permit to dive was required, but since it was only 50 meters or so off the beach we we decided to make an illegal(?) night dive and didn't bother with any of that. The water was relatively clear and the site was incredible! Large amphora still littered the sea bed, there were remains of building foundations and walls, and at least one large section of intact mosaic floor- just like you see in the photos when you Google it. I don't believe there were any statuary like the ones (reproductions?) there now. I just wish I had taken my U/W camera with me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file