China, Yangtze west

Hi: This is Al and Kristi Loverde from Atlata GA. This will be our 3rd Tauck trip. Anyone else going?

Comments

• We are going in oct. Would love to discuss trip with you. I'm trying to figure out how many days to pack for then have laundry sent out. Thinking 7 days of day clothes and 7 of night outfits. Any thoughts? Also in regards to money ... Travelers checks or ATM??
  • Hi, we did Best of China last year and were in the same cities you will visit, other than the river cruise. Don't think travelers checks are the way to go. ATM's are available, but, we were limited to about $400 or $350/per day, which is not much to spend in Bejing and Shanghai. Few places in the markets take credit cards, so you need the local currency and the ATM is the way to go. Have fun, but maybe try and have two different ATM cards available should you need more than your bank will allow per day.
  • To: Al & Kristi

We are going on the same trip as you.

Look forward to meeting you

Bev & Ed from Ft Myers, Fl
  • Hi Al and Kristi, we are also in the Sept. 2nd group. We are leaving from Atlanta on the 31st, perhaps we will be on the same flight. Look forward to traveling with you.

Gene and Doree

Jerry and Elaine

• We did this trip last year and found that there was nothing of significant value that could not be paid for with a credit card. We visited a silk factory and a high end jade salon along with a "clandestine knock-off" store and all gladly took credit cards (I travel with one AMEX and one MASTERCARD.) The latter "store" was accessed through a parking garage and offered a very small discount for cash. At the airport in Beijing, I purchased a set of headphones using my AMEX. We also used one or the other credit cards at every non-Tauck supplied meal. I was even able to buy a Starbuck's coffee drink using my AMEX. I had about $700 in cash with me and the hotels were more than happy to exchange. In China, virtually all legitimate currency exchange is for the very same rate and even if it were not, the hotels made it very convenient. I returned with $300 US in my pocket.
  • We are going on the Westbound Trip beginning Oct 18th. I would love to hear your comments on what to pack and what to leave behind. I know that it will be warm in Hong Kong and cool in Bejing. Did you do laundry or take enough for the trip?
  • We are going to china next month and i want to know about complete travel cost ????
  • Hi. I'm on the China Yangtze westbound September 15, 2015. Anyone else going with me?
  • Hi PJ, Yes, I'm on the Sep 15 China Yangtze westbound. - Bob
  • Hi Bob: where are you traveling from?
  • I'm traveling from Washington DC. Where are you from?
  • Hi there. My husband and I are going on the Oct. 1 East trip. We are leaving from Houston on Sept. 29th Anyone else going?

• ATM's are definitely the way to go....but make sure that you use one that provides the English language. We found many ATM's were only in Chinese.

• Bob, I am from Atlanta
  • We are Nick and Trudi from Ponte Vedra, FL and are scheduled for the Oct 13, 2015 Westbound tour. Does anyone have any info on Hong Kong tailors? We are arriving a day early and would like to do some shopping.
  • pjh1 wrote:
    Hi. I'm on the China Yangtze westbound September 15, 2015. Anyone else going with me?
    We are on the Sept. 15th trip too. I'm wondering if it will be hot and humid in all the places we go to? Can anyone tell me?
  • We are on the Sept 15th westbound trip. We are from Seattle. Kirk and Jann
  • We are also on the westbound trip Sept. 15. ---from NJ. It's getting close.......looking forward to meeting everyone.
    June
  • We are also one the westbound China trip starting on September 15. We are looking forward to meeting everyone and exploring the various areas.

Louise and Steve....St. Louis , MO
  • Westbound from Hong Kong to Beijing

The Yangtze Explorer is a dog of a boat, the river is dirty with debris from the crew of the explorer.

Overall the boat is updated but old and the rooms are mildew, damp, the towels and bedsheets are always, food on the ship was nasty, the rooms were damp….the low point of an otherwise nice trip.

Larry Abbott our tour director was great

We had an ill traveler who because of us traveling by bus and plane in a group contaminated many other travelers. The tour should mandate that an ill traveler wear a mask or be segregated from the group as it cost me a few tour days because this one traveler passed around his illness...
  • We were on the trip in June. ship and food were great. Remember in China they have Chinese food. We had people become ill and by end of trip all of us had chest problems. it appears this is something when in China
  • We took this trip in October. There are a few areas on the Yangtze Explorer that smell musty. No problems with the sheets and linens. I would say the food is average to below average. We did not like the taste of some of the Chinese food but perhaps that is their way of preparing it.
  • Hi all!!

I am going on Tauck's Indochina tour (Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia) in Decembermber 2015. We are going to Hong Kong first for 5 days independently to acclimate to the time, to tour and to shop. We have arrangement 2 days with a private guide as well as a food walking tour. We would live to hear restaurant and shopping recommendations. And a tailor too!!

Thank you, Nancy
  • Went to travel agent today. My husband and I are interested in Hong Kong, China, Yangtze River. She is checking on availability for Oct 2016. We will be flying from Maui, HI. Have not taken a tour with Tauck. Had an amazing trip Sept 2015 with Globus to South Africa. Anyone gone to China and wish to comment on Tauck? Thanks, Diane
  • edited January 2016
    Tauck is the best, we would not travel with anyone else. We always book with Tauck directly.
    I just looked at the Globus South Africa vacation and compared it with the Tauck South Africa tour you mention. There is absolutely no comparison, Tauck includes so much more, it includes transport to and from the airport whether you book flights with them or not and there are no options to buy. Just an example of the extra detail-- at the Hector Pietersen museum, we were actually introduced to Hector's sister who gave us a moving talk of her experience that day.
  • edited January 2016
    We took this trip in October 2015. It was our 12th Tauck trip. Tauck does it right. It is more expensive at first glance but you get what you pay for. They take care of you from arrival at the airport to departure going home.

The trip itself met all the highpoints that we wanted to cover. The hotels are first class. The sights are unforgettable. The ship has some rough spots but it is just fine. Remember this is China not a Danube cruise. We had Les as our Tauck Director. He is very efficient, friendly and knows China. His stories are hilarious.

Take this trip!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file