Options

Extending our Classic Italy trip in Venice

I am going on the May 4th Classic Italy Tour. I was wondering if there is enough time to see the sights in Venice. The first day in Venice goes to the Doge's Palace and St. Mark's Basilica and St. Mark's square and a gondola ride. The following day is free to see Venice on your own. Do we need more time in Venice?

Comments

• Options
    It all depends on what you want to do in Venice. I explored the non-tourist area during the day, but am looking forward to returning in May. I plan on seeing the islands, opera, doing a beyond eatin path tour and having one day to explore Venice again. The best part of my trip to Venice was early morning walk before cruise crowds and exploring outside the tourist area.
  • Options
    If this is your first trip to Venice one free day is not much. Just exploring the canals (by foot or vaporetto) is very interesting and Venice has several wonderful museums (including the Peggy Guggenheim museum of modern art). I have been to Venice many times and always want to stay 3 - 4 days minimum just to enjoy the unusual experience there. As noted above, trips to the outer islands are fun too.
  • Options
    Shazbo: I have been to Venice 3 times and agree with both crackers54 and smarks50. One of my visits was with Tauck and 2 were totally independent travel. Venice is a delightful place to explore on foot. The 'vaporetto' is the public transportation, and it is a boat that takes you around. Be sure to ride on the #1 (?) which I think is the one that makes the circle on the Grand Canal. It is such an inexpensive way to enjoy the view.

On one of my visits, I really wanted to explore Murano. Some had cautioned not to take a glass tour as they had a reputation for high pressure sales. You can take the public vaporetto to Murano, which I did, and wander around. I probably spent half--3/4 day wandering and stopping at some of the many glass factories that offered opportunities to watch them blowing and forming exquisite glass objects -- and no high pressure sales. I did buy beads and glass necklaces at some of the factories.

Even though I have visited Venice more than once, I still have not visited Burano which I understand is picturesque and is known for its lace. The Guggenheim and the Galleria dell'Accademia are great museums and depending on one's interest, you could devote a day seeing those two museums. I can only remember great meals in Venice -- dining both outside and inside. The ghetto area is fascinating if that interests you.

Personally, I enjoy wandering around finding some offbeat stores and shops, little parks, etc. If you are a reader, consider Behrendt's "City of Falling Angels" as providing some background about Venice, their opera house, and their glass industry. While I like to wander there is something disconcerting if I feel I am 'lost.' It is an island and not that big and you really cannot get 'lost' but if Rough Guide still publishes their map of Venice, it is the best. The 'streets' are literally sidewalks, but with names, and their map had print large enough for middle age eyes to read and to follow if one had a destination in mind.

Perhaps you should thumb through an Eyewitness Guide for Venice with all of their photos which really gives you an idea of what is there, and then you can decide if it is what interests you. Enjoy, and happy travels.
  • Options
    We were lucky to have to stay an extra day in Venice due to a pilot strike and a cancelled flight. Loved the freedom to roam the city on our own. We boarded the vaporetto and traveled to Burano and Murano. Each is special, but Burano by far the more colorful. Ate lunch along the way and had a wonderful time. That evening, we wandered the streets of Venice and had a wonderful inexpensive meal not far from St. Mark's. Would definitely recommend adding at least one extra day.....and ours was covered by our trip insurance!
  • Options
    We are going on the May 4, 2016 Classic Italy Tour. Is anyone staying an extra day in Venice at the end of the tour?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file