Options

Italy- plug adaptors

Any advice on what to bring to charge up phones and cameras? I am seeing conflicting info on the web. Some show a three prong plug for Italy, others do not . . . .

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2015
    You only need a simple two pin adapter (not for UK) which will fit the three hole socket. The center hole is for a "ground" connection which is not needed for the devices you mention. Or, you can also get a "universal" adapter which will work in number of countries and a variety of receptacles.

If you have multiple devices, also consider getting a small travel, multi-outlet, power strip so you can charge all of them at the same time instead of lugging multiple adapters and hoping your hotel room has sufficient available outlets. Look on Amazon or search here for posts about them. The one pictured below has 4 US receptacles. Some also have USB power ports.

If you have a very old or special device which is 110V only (and not dual voltage, i.e. 110V - 240V, like almost all modern phone/tablet/computer/camera chargers), then you will need a converter. The voltage range will be printed on the power/charger module.

ac-adapt-eu.jpg?142854265851G49uyOhtL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

41qPweKjCgL._AA160_.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Italian wall outlets take Continental plugs (the two pronged, rounded ones used throughout Europe). The three prong plugs are the Italian version of a grounded plug. I had to have one for my laptop which had a three prong grounded American plug, but for most devices a standard two prong plug will do. I know old houses in American will not accommodate grounded plugs and the may be true in Italy, especially in older buildings. Unless you are bringing an electronic device that has a grounded American plug on it, I don't think you'll need an Italian grounded plug. Hope that makes sense to you.

If you are bringing multiple electronic devices that need to be recharged, see my post for those who travel with many electronic devices on the EZO Power 200 watt International Travel Charger Power Voltage Converter.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Please note, as I said above you really don't need a grounded Italian adapter (with 3 prong receptacle on one side and 3 pin plug on the other). Just use a simple three prong to two prong adapter from your junk drawer with a two pin US to Italian adapter. See my reply to niamb's other post concerning the EZO.