Jewish Tour of Shanghai Oct 18 (Day 5) - China Westbound

We plan to take the tour of Jewish Shanghai (http://www.shanghai-jews.com//5.htm ) with Dvir Bar-Gal on October 18 in place of the Shanghai Urban Center visit offered by Tauck or after lunch when we have free time. So far no one has booked for that day and there is an 8 person minimum for the tour to take place. Cost is about $65 PP Anyone else interested in joining us??

Comments

• Hi! We took this fabulous trip in 2010, and our tour with Dvir was one of the highlights of our trip. You will really enjoy his narrative as well as the neighborhood he will take you to. This is how I worked it: I booked him for the 4 of us months in advance. When we arrived in China at the beginning of the tour and met our fellow travelers, I "recruited" others who had no idea that such a tour existed. Then I E-mailed Dvir with the total number. We ended up with 12 people, so we had 2 vans! Hopefully you will find other interested people on your tour.

Also, if you can rent the documentary film "Shanghai Ghetto" or get it out of your library, it will give you great background information.

Enjoy your trip!
  • LenY wrote:
    We plan to take the tour of Jewish Shanghai (http://www.shanghai-jews.com//5.htm ) with Dvir Bar-Gal on October 18 in place of the Shanghai Urban Center visit offered by Tauck or after lunch when we have free time. So far no one has booked for that day and there is an 8 person minimum for the tour to take place. Cost is about $65 PP Anyone else interested in joining us??
  • we are also going on this tour and would like to join the jewish shanghai tour, what info have you obtained? look forward to hearing back. scott
  • We would be interested in the Jewish Shanghai Tour on October 18th.
    How do we get to participate?
    Please advise
  • The link the Scott posted offers a morning tour.
    Is it possible if we have enough people wither Dvir will do the afternoon? On another Tauck trip, 3 years ago, the tour director arranged a special interest tour specifically for our group.
    This is my first time in a discussion. We are talking about the westbound trip starting on October 14th?
  • We are also interested in the Jewish Shanghai tour. We will be on the Oct. 13 Hong Kong China tour. Please let us know how to sign up.
  • What are the complete cost related to this trip??
  • I will be going on the Oct 18th, 2015 trip also with a friend and both of us are interested in joining your Shanghai Jewish tour Please let me know the details concerning the time, cost and how many people are going
  • Hi Fran Rae: I've been emailing the tour guide of the Jewish Shanghai tour. He is willing to run an afternoon tour if he has 10 people. The tour lasts 4-5 hours and the price is 400 RMB which is approximately $55.00 per person I believe. There are now 6 of us, including you 2 who are interested in this afternoon tour. He says that he often takes Tauck travelers on this tour in the afternoon, so I'm hoping that once we get together (and it's soon!), I will be able to find out if we have the 10 required. It could be that he would agree to take less than 10, but I'm not sure about that. I'm a Tauck traveler like you and so we will see. I know that for my husband and myself, if the afternoon tour doesn't run, we will forgo the Tauck morning tour that day and take the Jewish Shanghai tour. The tour guide said that the morning tour always runs. Look forward to meeting you both!
  • Hi Rebecca

Count the two of us in either the morning or afternoon tour. Whatever time works out for you. Do you know
    If they accept credit cards, or payment in US dollars? We are trying to figure out how much US monies to bring vs Hong Kong and mainland Chinese monies. Looking forward to meeting every one
    Fran
  • Of course, we'd rather be able to go on the Jewish Shanghai tour on the free afternoon if we have have enough people. Once we all meet in
    Hong Kong, we can see who else is interested and go from there. But if not, then we will go in the morning. See you soon!
  • Sound good. See you in approx two weeks
  • We are on the October 13th trip, that starts in Hong Kong. Is that the same one you're on?
  • Hi Fran Rae: I've been emailing the tour guide of the Jewish Shanghai tour. He is willing to run an afternoon tour if he has 10 people. The tour lasts 4-5 hours and the price is 400 RMB which is approximately $55.00 per person I believe. There are now 6 of us, including you 2 who are interested in this afternoon tour. He says that he often takes Tauck travelers on this tour in the afternoon, so I'm hoping that once we get together (and it's soon!), I will be able to find out if we have the 10 required. It could be that he would agree to take less than 10, but I'm not sure about that. I'm a Tauck traveler like you and so we will see. I know that for my husband and myself, if the afternoon tour doesn't run, we will forgo the Tauck morning tour that day and take the Jewish Shanghai tour. The tour guide said that the morning tour always runs. Look forward to meeting you both!

• I am interested if it is afternoon when we have free time. My husband might want to join us, but not sure. We hope the guide will arrange a special tour for those of us on the Oct. 13 Westbound Hong Kong China trip. Looking forward to meeting everyone on Oct. 13th. We arrive one day early on Oct. 12 but around 6:40pm.
  • We are on the October 13th trip, that starts in Hong Kong. Is that the same one you're on?
    Rebecca, I just saw this, so sorry I fly to Hong Kong on the 18th. My tour leaves one week after you, I thought the week before was a eastbound trip. Enjoy
    Rebecca, I just saw this, so sorry I fly to Hong Kong on the 18th. My tour leaves one week after you, I thought the week before was a eastbound trip. Enjoy
  • We are on the east bound china trip April 7 2016-We interested in taking a tour of the Jewish sector in Shanghai on April 19 in the am in place of the tour of the Urban Planning Center Is anyone interested in joining us- are looking at tour options - Elli and Steve Karp
  • We are also on the April 7 2016 eastbound China trip. We are interested in joining you on the tour of the Jewish sector in Shanghai on April 19. Janice and Ira Rothman
  • I'm a solo on the April 7 Eastbound, and would be interested in the tour of Jewish Shanghai. The tour I've heard about is called "The Jews of Shanghai," and is led by an expatriate Israeli journalist Dvir Bar-Gal.

Larry Ginsburg
  • Hi Janice and Ira
    Have booked tour of Shanghai Jewish sector with Dvir Bar-Gal who came very highly recommended- I will notify him to give him your names- the tour is 450RMB/pp for 1/2 day- We are arriving in Beijing on April 6- Look forward to meeting you
    Elli and Steve Karp
  • Hi Elli and Steve,
    Thanks for booking this and including us. We also arrive in Beijing on the 6th. Looking forward to meeting you.
    Janice and Ira Rothman
  • Traveling on Westbound May 31 trip. Anyone interested in Jewish tour in Shanghai?
  • My husband and I are on the May 12, 2016 Eastbound tour. Anyone interested in the Jewish tour in Shanghai? We've been in touch with Dvir and know that the morning of May 24 is already booked with a private tour. Hoping to find 8 other people for the afternoon.
    Toni and Bruce
  • Traveling on Westbound May 31 trip. Anyone interested in Jewish tour in Shanghai?
    Paul, My husband and I are on the May 31 Westbound and would be interested in the Jewish tour. How many people do we need to book the tour? Will it be too late to book when we meet the rest of our group?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file