European travel

Booked for a trip to France in Sept. 2016
What are your thoughts now that France has been attacked by ISIS?
Anyone thinkng of canceling?

Comments

• You are asking an unanswerable question. If you are worried about travel, don't go, give someone else your place on this popular tour.
  • Good question - we are also watching developments before deciding whether or not to cancel our Sept. 2016 France tour. If we do, hopefully Tauck will allow us to apply our deposit towards another tour.
  • Yes that is what they do. Recently someone had to cancel and said the exposition is credit to next tour. I think might have to take within a year, but you would have to find out from Tauck. I am on a May trip to Italy, figure will decide in May. We all will have to decide if it is safe enough.
  • I realize I can cancel my trip. I don't understand why my questions can't be answered. I asked for people's thoughts, I'm sure recent events have caused many people to reconsider their travel plans.
  • I have a fried that was going on Mediterranean cruise with family and they are already looking at cancelling. It all depends on the person. I have booked Italy trip in May and figure a lot can happen between then and now. I will make final decision in April or May. I understand your concern on going to France. One of the countries they are targeting right now. All you can do is keep an eye on what goes on and decide when it gets closer. Or chose a different trip for next year in US and give it some time.
  • You asked for some thoughts ...We are going to India in a month and have no intention of cancelling our trip. If we give in to fears of stepping outside our door, then the terrorists have won. If we begin to avoid places that have had attacks either by terrorists or disturbed individuals, we feel that our world is going to become a pretty small place...Paris, London, Mumbai, Boston, NYC, Oklahoma City, Columbine, a movie theatre in Colorado, an Amish school in Pennsylvania, a shopping mall in Nairobi, and the list goes on.
  • If you are on Facebook Rick steves has letter from a couple traveling with their daughters in France. Worth reading for all of us travelers.
  • edited March 2016
    It has been stated that the deposit can be transfered. However, Tauck or its insurance company keeps the travel insurance you paid (this can only be transfered on a land tour as I understand it). So if you cancel, you stand to lose a large amount.
  • edited March 2016
    In light of the events in Turkey, it just shows how situations can change in just a few months. Now I am waiting for messages to start about the Turkey tours. The world is dangerous place and the suffering and loss of so many lives is just tragic. I am not sure I would want to go to Istanbul right now. But Paris and France. Some of my past most treasured memories are of being in France numerous times with our family traveling around that beautiful country.
    You also have to think how Tauck has to continuously monitor all these events and how it juggles everything but still be in business. It's reasonable they keep the insurance amount. If you take out any insurance,you never get it back, but Tauck lets you credit it to another trip, that really is amazing. So many Tauck customers appear to cancel on a whim from what I hear on my tours too, it really shocks me how little regard they have for Tauck or other customers who could not secure a place on the tour until it was too late to take up on a sudden vacancy.
    Every day when I get in my car and drive among all the idiots texting ang talking on their phones, I feel I am statistically far more vulnerable than being killed by a terrorist attack, but I still go out of my door because that is how I can enjoy the company of family and friends.
    If jimmydpgh is still looking at the forum, did you cancel your tour?
  • I, too, believe that if you cancel your trip, "the bad guys" win. I live not far from Boston, and could easily have been at the Marathon the day of the bombing there. I feel that when it's my time to go, I'm going to go, and it won't matter where in the world I happen to be. I was very disappointed that Tauck cancelled my trip to Turkey that was supposed to start April 26 (because not enough people signed up, I was told). I instead booked the Normandy, Brittany, Paris and the Loire Valley trip that begins April 29 (my timing was determined by the fact that I will be at a wedding in Italy on April 24). I had purchased the insurance, and Tauck refunded my airfare and transferred my deposit to the second trip.
  • edited March 2016
    Hi, my name is Rita and my husband and I are traveling to France and going on the Rendezvous on the Seine Trip. We feel comfortable going with Tauck and feel they would cancel if there was danger. You cannot be sure of when Isis will attack next! We are very excited about our trip as we celebrate my husband, George's, 80th birthday on April 1!! We are leaving from Tampa, FL on March 30, 2016! It is right around the corner.
  • My name is Bill, and my wife is June. We will join this trip on April 1. We will celebrate our 55th during the trip. Happy Birthday to George! We leave from Atlanta on March 31.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file