Options

Amsterdam to Budapest River Cruise

I'll be taking the Amsterdam to Budapest river cruise in September (I'm very excited!). I was wondering if anyone had advice as to when fly out of Budapest. I can do so at 10:40am or 1:30pm of the last day. Many thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Your itinerary on the last day says to allow for 3 hours for departure flight check in. Typically on Tauck river cruises you have to be off the ship by 9 or 10 am so they can get the ship prepared for the next cruise.

Kinda of depends on how early you want to get up and the rest of the flight plans. If you have a connection within Europe from your Budapest flight be sure to allow at least 2 hours as you may have to go through more security screening.

Personally I'd opt for the earlier flight. Not much to be gained by sitting around the ship for another few hours.
  • Options
    Tagging on here... We are booked on the Am. to B. trip September 10th and I have not got a clue what to pack! I am not a seasoned traveler as far as long trips and 1 suitcase. We usually drive or take shorter trips. When we went to Italy a few years ago we were fine but it was hot and we did not have any bulky clothes or coats. What will I need on this trip?
  • Options
    First off go to the webpage here for your particular trip. Click on the Before You Go tab then you'll see a bunch of pull down menus including What to Pack. Lot's of other very useful info here including weather averages. Also read lots of other posts in the forum for your cruise and other river cruises. The biggest difference in the cruises are the itinerary's. The logistic details are all pretty similar.

Tips for keeping your luggage light.

While it's tempting to wear jeans, logo tshirts, sneakers etc during the day, if instead you dress comfortably but a little nicer you can go direct to dinner without changing anything more than shoes. The daily tours aren't athletic events so other than shoes you should be able to wear the same clothes all day.

Pack one nice outfit to wear for all dressy occasions. Long sleeve dress shirt, nice slacks at a minimum for guys. Can add a tie and/or a sweater and/or sport coat. It's cool in the evening on board especially on the sundeck. For ladies, dress slacks and a pretty top. Again bring a sweater or wrap. Scarves are lightweight and can dress up a very plain top.

Dress in layers. A lightweight rain proof jacket that can be worn over a long sleeve shirt.

Plan to do some hand washing of some items like undies, tops. We both have some tops that are lightweight breathable blends that dry quickly (Costcos 32 Degree line is great). Suck it up and plan to send out slacks once or twice to be laundered by the ship - costs about 6 euros a pair with 1 day turnaround.

Have fun.

• Options
    iee202 wrote:
    I'll be taking the Amsterdam to Budapest river cruise in September (I'm very excited!). I was wondering if anyone had advice as to when fly out of Budapest. I can do so at 10:40am or 1:30pm of the last day. Many thanks.
    It is up to you on how early you want to get up and what time you want to get home. Just remember you have the good bye dinner the night before and might prefer the 1:30 flight to have an easy morning.
  • Options
    I went back to the Before You Go, Preparing to Go tabs for this trip and it definitely says the cruise ends at 9AM. Not sure of travel time from the ship to the airport but looks like some time to kill their. Duty free shopping. Yeah.

Like you say cracker, it kind of depends on the rest of the flight plan.

On our last cruise half the ship had very early flights so even though we didn't we still got woken up by the noise.