currency exchange on trip (Budapest to Prague)

i was wondering what everyone does re currency. Obviously i would like to use credit cards for everything but doubt you can get by with this alone.
I do not use debit cards so that is another complication for me at least.
I was wondering what others who have done Eastern Europe riverboat cruises with multiple currencies, not Euro, have done.

I will have access to AMEX, Visa and Mastercard.

Thanks!

Barry

Comments

• I spoke to someone at Tauck who has done this trip. She said not to worry about Hungarian currency-just use your credit card.
  • edited July 2016
    Most people use the ATMs upon arrival, but you could also get currency at the airport currency exchange. From what I've read, you get better rates at the European end than the American. You won't get the best exchange rate in either case (in facts its probably the worst) but at least you'll have some Euros.

The only things I've paid cash for on river cruises are small purchases like post cards, some food, etc. Everything else goes on my credit card. Unless you have a pre or post cruise stay tacked on to your cruise you shouldn't need much cash.

Check with the bank/credit bureau of your cards to see what their european transaction fees are and use the one (s) with the lowest. Shouldn't be more than 1%. Also, don't let the merchant do the dollar conversion. Tell them you want it charged in the local currency (euros). Also let the bank/credit bureau know where you'll be and when so they don't decline charges thinking someone has stolen your card.

Assuming you are on the northbound cruise starting in Hungary and don't have a precruise hotel stay, I wouldn't really worry about it. You don't need to tip the driver who Tauck sends to pick you up or the crew on the ship. Your meals are covered and it sounds like you only have the morning in Budapest so not much opportunity to shop.

You can also consider something called a reloadable debit card. Like the currency exchanges, you will pay for the convenience - transaction fees, conversion fees, sometimes monthly fees, etc. - but at least you should be able to get some money.

You can also get euros from your bank/credit union. You need to request them in advance and will be charged a fee. Again, not the best deal but one way to do it.
  • We were most recently in Budapest on the Budapest-Amsterdam trip. It was fabulous. On all of our foreign travel I try to have foreign currency sufficient for a meal and a taxi ride. For Hungary, we were there 3 days. I took $150.00 USD in Hungarian Florints and $500 in Euros. No problems whatsoever using Visa everywhere. Use whatever card has no foreign transaction fees. We used so little of the Hungarian cash, I redeposited with Wells Fargo on our return. No problems whatsoever in the countries using the Euro.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file