Options

Donations / Visiting local orgainzations

Are there any visits to local organizations (i.e. education, health care, etc.) on this trip (September 2016)?

On the Bridges trip to Tanzania in 2014, we visited a school and many of us brought supplies as donations (in addition to the donation Tauck makes on the groups' behalf). It was certainly not required, but along the way in planning that trip (likely in one of these forums) there was a list of items the school would appreciate. Note: We did not give them to the kids; they were quietly delivered to the head of the school as a whole.

Visiting the school and playing soccer/football with the students was THE highlight of the trip for our children! It was incredibly impactful... so much so that our teenage daughter has organized a few fundraisers for the school.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Hello again Baystater, I am going on this tour mid September. If that is before you, I'll post. But it might be quicker for you to call Tauck. I do not see anything mentioned on the itinerary and my feeling is that this tour will not include anything. We also loved the school in Tanzania. But we also visited the Fame health center/ hospital and are so impressed, it has become our favorite charity. We met the founders again recently in the US at a fundraiser in our city and gave another donation, plus we can get a match from my husband's company. If there is something like this or a school In Botswana, cash donations are often the best and easiest way to help, however small because it goes so much further in a third world country.
  • Options
    Thanks, British! I'm on the 9/15 departure... and so looking forward to it! I'm glad to hear you are still connected to the Fame health center... we didn't visit, but hearing from you - I wish we had!
  • Options
    Baystater, you are on the tour that begins two days before me. I am hoping to get Susan, who we did the Tanzania/Zanzibar tour with two years ago, who I saw conducting this tour on some photos that Sealord posted earlier in the year, I can't locate them now. She gave us all an amazing slideshow of photos she took of our tour, you know, all those photos you also took, but then hers were even better, plus photos of all the group up to their various adventures. She loves Africa and did live or does live in Arusha. Or the legendary Rachel who we have taken two tours with, K and T and Elegant South Africa, also passionate about Africa and tells some wonderful tales, plus whenever there is something dangerous going on in a country, she seems to be the one who is there, I think she was in the Egypt trouble a few years ago and was definitely marooned in the Mumbai attacks, we just love her. She has a great sense of humor, she has to, she was the one who had to deal with the people in one of our tours who were the Tauck customers from hell.
    It's getting very near now, but I go to England first, on the 5th August.
  • Options
    I will second the commendation of Susan as an excellent Tauck Director. We had her two years ago. She loves her work and it shows!
  • Options
    Thank you both for taking the time to share your experiences. Glad to hear such rave reviews of the potential guides! I was hoping to get on the 9/17 tour, but it was full by the time I was able to commit. British, I will be in a day earlier... let me know if our paths will cross. I will look for Sealord's pics.

Happy Trails to you both!
  • Options
    Arriving two days early. Already have our 3 hour spa treatments booked for the 16th, intending to chill out before the tour begins, it's been a busy year. Got out spiral booklet yesterday, awaiting our duffels. Just finished my four doses of typhoid meds with no ill affects. About to pick up malaria meds and Cipro. I am not a last minute person!
  • Options
    Sounds great! I will try to remember to leave a note for you at the desk... as "British" ;-)

You have inspired me... maybe I will see you at the spa!