Electric Converters

What kind of converters do I need for South Africa? I will need to charge my phone and heat my electric curlers. I have seen two different styles? Do I need the bigger converter box, too?

Comments

• NShiring wrote:
    What kind of converters do I need for South Africa? I will need to charge my phone and heat my electric curlers. I have seen two different styles? Do I need the bigger converter box, too?

People tend to get converters and adapters confused. An adapter just matches the plug on your device/charger to the plug style where you are visiting. A converter actually changes the voltage to match your device.

Virtually all electronic chargers (phones, cameras, computers) made for a decade or more are, in themselves, converters. Read the print on the charger. It'll likely say something like 110-240 v(olt), 50-60 Hz which means that it can directly utilize the electric power anywhere you go. You'll just need a plug adapter which costs just a few dollars. A good reference for the type of plugs need can be found at: http://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/.

Converters, on the other hand, are larger and much more expensive than adapters, especially for a relatively high current device like an electric curler. You'll need to obtain a device which can handle the wattage of your device PLUS have the right plug for where you are visiting. These will usually be called something like a "Step Down Voltage Converter" and cost something on the order of $40 for an 1800 watt device. It might be cheaper to buy a hail curler in SA and toss it after your visit.
  • edited August 2016
    Remington H1015 Compact Ceramic Worldwide Voltage Hair Setter, Hair Rollers, 1-1 ¼ Inch, Pink
    from Remington

Above is a set of hair curlers, if that is the sort of hair curler you mean, that I just looked up quickly on Amazon and they are under $20. So they are available but some people still have trouble when using these type of high power things when in a country that uses up to 240 volts.
    Portolan gave you an excellent description of the difference between an adapter and converter. Another thing to consider if you thought of taking a converter is that in addition to being expensive, they can be very heavy.
    Another question I have here, is that if you have been to Britain or the other countries that use the higher voltage electricity, and your curlers have worked there, then they will work in South Africa as long as you have the correct ADAPTER or plug. I am sure it is very likely you have travelled to other countries since few people would likely chose South Africa as their first time out of the US.
    You will love the tour of South Africa, curly hair or not and most of the time you will be wearing a hat! So that's a great advantage!