Options

SAFARI VEHICLES ON THE BOTSWANA TOUR

SAFARI VEHICLES ON THE BOTSWANA TOUR
The safari vehicles on this tour are definitely far less user friendly than on the Kenya and Tanzania tour. (I have been on the Elegant South Africa tour, but it was a while ago and I know they are also more challenging, but that's all I remember)
They are very high, have narrow steps or bars to get into the vehicle. You have to be able to lift your leg high over the side of the vehicle and there are no doors to open to get into the vehicle except on one or two. Each camp has a slightly different design, or each vehicle is different. There is no particular attempt from anyone to help you get in or out. At Camp Kalahari, there are some wooden steps that the vehicle pulls up to that are some help, but when you get out of the vehicle as you do while out, there is obviously nothing in those locations. --- I am 5 feet 2 inches, have no back or limb issues--- Especially on the higher up back seats that some of the vehicles have, my legs just dangled and I had to brace myself with my foot on the side of the vehicle to keep in my place----there were no sides to keep you on, i feared I might be thrown out. At times the very bumpy roads, mainly deep dirt in some places, you do bounce up in the air and down again. We were in very dry conditions on this tour, don't know how it would be in wet conditions. You have to remain seated. There are open sides but a canvas cover over the top, it gives some shade, but I still recommend a wide brimmed hat with a chin strap, or it can easily blow off. The same with anything else you are carrying, camera, sunglasses, coat, they all have to be firmly stowed.

Comments

• Options
    Just to clarify more precisely about the type of vehicles used for the tour. Toyota flat bed trucks are imported into the countries and they are fitted out with seating, so some have three seats in a row and some have two seats in a row with a box in the middle that can store the blankets or your day bags etc. three rows of seats all together. Tauck never has more than six people in a vehicle, so everyone has a seat at a side of the vehicle. No standing in the vehicles allowed.
  • Options
    It is the prospect of the safari vehicles that will keep us out of Africa. With back problems already, we will have to be content with a visit to the zoo. Really sorry because of real desire to go fighting the reality that we can't. Hope those that are more able go and enjoy and share the experience. Thanks, as always, British, for the information you provide on this forum.
  • Options
    Just got back myself and LOVED the trip!

The vehicles were a bit more challenging to get in and out of, when compared to Tanzania in 2014... but everyone in our group of 18 managed (most were retirees).

There was a guide or staff member there offering a hand nearly 100% of the time. I am sure if anyone had trouble, they would have made sure to be there every time.