Options

BOTSWANA AND THAT YELLOW FEVER CARD

BOTSWANA AND THAT YELLOW FEVER CARD

When we got onto the bus after crossing the river from Zambia into Botswana and got onto our Botswana bus, a border official came on the bus and asked to see the passport and proof of Yellow Fever vaccination of anyone under the age of 60. There were about 5 in the group under 60. Fortunately, they had all had their vaccination, so I do not know what would have happened. Our tour director Chris had never been stopped with a group and asked about those certificates before. Never mind only people under 60, he seemed really surprised. Someone asked the young girl official why only people under 60 and she replied 'Because it is not recommended people over 60 have the vaccine because their immune systems are not strong enough for the vaccine'. Of course, I know reading the research on the subject that that is a load of rubbish. There is no way of knowing whether this was just her take, or if all officials are asked to behave in this way. Lesson here is the possibility that if you are under 60, you could be asked to show your Yellow fever certificate when crossing the border from Zambia into Botswana.

Comments

• Options
    Just got back myself - traveled 2 days prior to British.

I had my yellow fever vaccine and card, because I did not want to be in the position of having to go home or have them do it with a "who knows where it came from and is it clean?" needle. (OMG!) My travel MD said I ought not to need it, but agreed that given the alternatives it was good/OK to get.

That being said... no one ever asked to see my yellow fever card. And I even arrived a few days early and entered/exited Zimbabwe on my own.