Options

colthes

I don't see a list of clothes to bring for the trip. And also, can we wash somewhere or have hotels wash for us. I can't understand how to pack for that many days without doing was several times. Help?

Comments

• Options
    If you go back in the past on the forum, there is mention of a laundry near the Sydney hotel. There is a chance to do laundry yourself in a couple of The New Zealand hotels, sorry can't remember more than that--- try looking at hotel website to find out for these.
    Clothing, what time of year are you going, weather will be very different depending on that. In Australia summer, hot a blazes, in New Zealand winter, possibility of snow, get the idea!
  • Options
    We are going in February. So please advise for this time. Do you need dress clothes? Etc. Do you need Deet? I know you need sun block. Anything else, please advise.
  • Options
    When we did this tour there was plenty of opportunities for laundry either on a DIY basis or by service when at hotels for 2 nights.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    If you've gotten your green spiral bound book, there should be a packing list in the Important Information section (usually only moderately helpful).

February in the southern hemisphere is the same as August in the northern hemisphere.

It is possible to got three weeks without doing laundry (maybe wash socks and underwear in the hotel sink). Carry a small spray bottle of Febreeze to freshen clothing. They sell an extra strength travel size called Febreze To Go. Don't worry about wearing the same outfit multiple times, everyone will be doing it. Hotel laundry prices are usually outrageous (you can often buy underwear cheaper than washing it). For laundromats or laundries, try searching for your hotel on Google Maps and then enter laundromat or laundry. This usually works better in smaller cities.

Regarding clothing, Australia will be hot, hot, hot. While New Zealand won't be winter (British was exaggerating- though I suppose you could get some flurries in the mountains), it is more moderate with cool nights. Tauck recommends a warm hat and gloves for the jet boat rice. Check the weather forecasts for each destination before you pack. Accuweather gives good long range forecasts and has monthly average temperatures.

Yes, you should bring insect repellent.
  • Options
    Hey Ken, I'm not exaggerating, when we did the NZ trip, our tour director said she has led tours with snow but obviously in the NZ winter. We did NZ and Australia separated, NZ in their summer and Australia on their winter. Don't forget that Queenstown is famous for it's snow activities.
  • Options
    We went during the same time period (mid-February-March) ten years ago. It was very hot in Australia (a bit cooler in Sydney), and then it was much cooler in NZ. We even had a few rainy days there. While some of the itinerary has changed, I think you will find places to do laundry along the way. And, you will probably need to do some. I am a pretty OCD packer, planning outfits carefully and reusing all things. However, even I had to do laundry. This is a pretty intrepid tour, and you will go through a lot of outfits. I have posted elsewhere about meeting up with the Tauck cruise group in Queensland. They smelled of perfume and after-shave and were polished and well-pressed! Us? Not so much!
    Do bring a good repellent. We use UltraThon as it's easy to pack and you need very little. Got a Consumer Report recommendation a few years back. It hasn't let us down yet.
    And, yes, most definitely check Accuweather for the extended forecast. With our climate changes ( not going to get political here, but the temptation is great...) , one never knows what weather patterns will occur. Accuweather gives a good extended forecast.
    And, the best advice...go back through the Forum posts, eliminating the "introducing myself posts" to the info posters give about your trip during the same time frame.
  • Options
    You'll have no problem finding laundry facility, and don't worry about being dressy. Aussies and Kiwis are very laid back! We never had trouble with bugs except some flies at Uluru, and happily our TD brought us all veils to use. We were there in Jan-Feb 2015 and had wonderful, indeed perfect weather - hope you do too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file