Options

Shots for Tanzania & Kenya August 2012

Hello Travelers:
My Dr has suggested getting Rabies shots (3 ) for my travels. I was wondering if anyone else got them. I am getting Yellow Fever, Hepatitis A&B, Typhoid, ( had polio and tetunus is up to date) Oh Yes I am taking the Malaria pills with me along with an antibiotic! Yikes. Any thoughts from anyone will be appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    We are taking that trip in May. Our travel agent said we didnt need shots, didnt sound right so we are going to a travel clinic tomorrow. Who is advising you ??
  • Options
    Hi Dardar:
    I went to my personal Physician who went on line with the CDC. You need Yellow Fever to enter East Africa, Kenya. Although no one asked Leo (fellow traveler for his documentation ) he had it with him. ( read his blogg ..excellent He tells his shots also). I also got Hepititis A&B, my tetanus is updated and I got Typhoid fever. I am taking with me Malaria pills and cipro an anti biotic. This is what most people I have talked to have taken. When my Dr said rabies I was concerned as no one I spoke to had got this. Well with a little research , me & my Dr agreed this was excessive Cdc also states this is for the hiker and freedom camper in the wild. I explained we are with one of the most noted travel companies in the world and on a tour. My Travel agent told me the shots I needed also. I am not your Dr and by no means and advocate for shots but you are traveling to a different country where diseases are prevalent. Please review carefully with a trained professional for your answers. Be Safe! Have Fun! This will be a vacation of a life time!!!. I am way too excited!!
  • Options
    Thanks June, We went to the travel clinic today and started the shots. Are you getting the meningitis shot? He said it was suggested but not a must, and the same thing with the rabies. Got the antibotic and the malaria pills. I am continueing to try to read all I can. Some of these blogs are just wonderful, what a help. I am so looking forward to the trip. Best of luck to you and thanks for the reply
  • Options
    Well now it gets real when those shots start! No I am not getting the meningitis. I did get a polio. Although I had one as a child , to do a redo doesn't hurt. That's it for me on shots. YF, Hetp A&B, Typhoid, polio,. My tetnus was up to date. Done. Now to concentrate on packing light!! Leo's blogg and Tammy's were wonderful!! Have a good day!
  • Options
    We did not get rabies shots. Our doctor agreed with us that we would not be handling / touching animals - wild or domestic. That turned out to be the case. Otherwise, we got all the other inoculations that you got. Actually, we take our last malaria pill next Thursday....Leo & Beth
  • Options
    Your exposure to the animals is distant so we did not get the excessive shots. (They are very close but you are in the vehicle at all times) I think for hunters and hikers they would probably need more shots. Make sure you ask for the malaria pills that do not have nightmares as a side effect. We just returned and saw zero mosquitoes so several of us stopped taking the malaria pills after day two or three. I'm NOT recommending that as it's a personal decision but I just did not see the need. I guess we got lucky as we did not need any repellant either. No issues whatsoever any time of day on the mid February trip. They did not ask to see our immunization card at the airport. Flying into Kilimanjaro we were not required to have the yellow fever shot. My Uncle is 88 and he had that shot in WW2 and did not like the side effects. He was happy to skip it this time!

I will add that the same goes with wearing color. You don't need to go out and buy a bunch of Khaki items or Safari items to wear. Just wear your summer clothes. The animals only see you from the mid arm up if you are standing on the seat so no need to get all Safari'd out unless you want to. :) White is fine, color is fine, bring some short sleeved tops as you will find you don't need long sleeved shirts or long pants every day. If you are going to do long sleeved shirts those breathable ones at REI were so lightweight and cool. I bought a few for my Uncle and he loved them. I wore a casual skirt some days as did our tour guide at times. With no mosquitoes, some wore lotion and a dab of perfume too. Feels kind of nice after a long, hot, sweaty day on safari!

Safe Travels and enjoy!

Josie :)
This discussion has been closed.