Options

June 4th safari ask away

Hello from Arusha! My family just arrived yesterday for our safari adventure. I will try to answer questions you may have regarding
Te tour either while we are here or upon my return. If you have a specific question please feel free to ask. I bothered Glenn quite a bit before we left so I would like to offer the same help to others.

Rich

Comments

• Options
    Hi Rich,

We are not traveling until September 2012 but we are excited and want to hear all about your trip. Which airline did you fly? How are the accomodations?

Thanks,
    Kay
  • Options
    Hi Rich! We arrive in Arusha on the 22nd. Our tour leaves on the 25th (JUNE).....any helpful hints on weather, clothes, ANYTHING would be GREATLY appreciated....Thanks in advance!!!!
    Ellen
  • Options
    I am looking forward to trip reports from Pachecos and TravelerEl when they return home. Please comment or suggest anything that would be helpful to future travelers to Tanzania and Kenya. Thanks!
  • Options
    Also, could you please tell us which immunizations you needed to have before departure? I'm finding a lot of conflicting information online. Thanks!
  • Options
    Rich:
    How are you? Hope you had a wonderful trip. I am planning my trip for August 2012. I do have a question about money. Everyone seems to be saying they carry a lot of ones , & fives small bills. Is this because in Arusha at the bazaar center they take American bills? It seems the only shopping places besides hotels is in Arusha & the Massi Mari I was considering purchasing Tanzania Shillings & Kenya shillings before I leave but I seem to be reading that American money is what is being used. Please let me know. Anyone else please fill me in. Thanks my friends
  • Options
    I just returned last week. I can tell you, one dollar bills are not desirable as much as I read about it. I took $300 in ones and no one really wanted them. Some won't refuse them but you just never buy anything that requires a dollar bill or even four. So go with fives and tens or even twenties as well. Everywhere we went US dollars was accepted but they were picky about expecting newer bills after a certain year. Order new bills from your bank ahead of time so they are on hand for you. Even at the Maasi Village I bought 45 dollars worth of items and the guy was like, do you have any larger bills? Ones are mainly so you don't get shillings back. But if you do, you will have less then say 20 in shillings so leave them as a donation to the great restaurant or hotel staff so you won't be bothered with it. I would avoid more than say 20 - 30 one dollar bills max. There was just no use for them and I ended up having to use them for part of the tour director's tip and we also tipped our amazing Safari tour guides and drivers. Not expected but they were awesome! We used our credit card at most shops, hotel gift shops and for drinks. The bills are only needed for market type shopping in the city and then for the tip for your guide or anyone else that you want to recognize that way.

Josie :)
This discussion has been closed.