A Taste of France riverboat cruise 6/15/2017

Hi!
We will be doing "A Taste of France" riverboat cruise in mid-June. I would like advise, if any of you have done the same cruise in June, on what type of clothes to pack. Thank you! Denise

Comments

• Denise, great that you have joined the forum.Having once been a river cruise "virgin" I understand your worry. Our 1st Tauck cruise was French Waterways - very similar itinerary to yours. I'm also getting my packing list together for a Seine cruise in June 0 our 3rd Tauck cruise. Here's my advice.

First, read everything about your cruise under the Before You Go tab on the Taste of France web page. It will give you a recommended packing list and weather averages. Then read through various river cruise threads on the forum about what to wear. It's the most discussed topic of all. With the exception of a few special night dinners, all the cruises pretty much have the same dress requirements so you don't need to limit yourself to just your cruise.

Second, the weather is just averages and may not actually reflect what you get. For our Rhone cruise it was mostly in the high 60s/low 70s and overcast or actually raining. The cruise group the week before ours in Jun had weather so hot many didn't want to go on some of the daily tours. Do a final weather check the day before leaving and plan a wardrobe of layers.

Third, do NOT overpack on fancy dress. You'll need 1-2 nice evening outfits for dinner at Fouquets, the dinner on day 3 and the farewell dinner. You might also have dinner at Pont du Gard. Ours was a pretty casual outdoor venue. You can wear the same outfit (no one will be keeping track). The easiest is to bring 1 pair of dress slacks/skirt, 2-3 dressy tops (lace, a bit of bling, etc), dressy sandals, and an evening wrap/sweater/shrug. The later is because it can be cool in the evening especially up on the sundeck where it's nice to spend happy hour.

Fourth, for the rest of the nights you can wear what you spent the day in as long as its not jeans, short shorts, sneakers, flip flops, etc. I find it easiest to dress a bit nicer during the day with little or no changing for dinner. Usually I just change my shoes and grab a scarf/wrap. The daily walking tours aren't hiking the himalayas. More like a couple of hours spent at the mall.

This summer I plan to pack several sundresses (with slip shorts for modesty), a few pairs of capris, 1 pair of lightweight casual slacks and 1 pair of dress slacks along with about a dozen tops and scarves. Again, no one will be keeping track. They'll be too busy drinking champagne, talking about the day's tour, etc.

Enjoy

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file