Help from someone who has been to Netherlands American Cemetery

On Day 5 the tour goes to the Netherlands American Cemetery. Would you know the approximate time of arrival and about how long you were there? We are going next spring and plan to visit the grave of one of my dad's best buddies from WW-II. Thank you very much. Ed

Comments

• Hi Ed,

I did this tour last April and went to the cemetery. We went after lunch at a chateau and per the daily program we arrived at the cemetery around 3:30pm, then departed around 4:45pm to return to the ship. They have a guide go over the history at first for a few minutes, then you are free to walk around the grounds. If you tell your guides they will inform the cemetery guide who will take you or direct you to the specific grave you are looking to visit. We had a name that someone shared a story on Facebook about so we asked and the worker very quickly told us where he was located. We did not feel rushed and had plenty of time to walk the grounds which are beautiful.

I hope this helps!!

Kathy
  • Dear Kathy. Thanks for the details from your trip. We are also trying to connect with a local who has adopted Capt. Wilkins grave. If they didn't mention it, all of the graves at the Netherlands American Cemetery have been adopted by locals and there is a waiting list as most get passed from one generation to another. They place flowers on US Holidays, their birth and death dates. It is their tribute to never forget those who came and fought for their freedom, and made the ultimate sacrifice. Best regards, Ed.
  • AshvEd wrote:
    Dear Kathy. Thanks for the details from your trip. We are also trying to connect with a local who has adopted Capt. Wilkins grave. If they didn't mention it, all of the graves at the Netherlands American Cemetery have been adopted by locals and there is a waiting list as most get passed from one generation to another. They place flowers on US Holidays, their birth and death dates. It is their tribute to never forget those who came and fought for their freedom, and made the ultimate sacrifice. Best regards, Ed.

Ed -

That's awesome info about the locals who adopt the graves. I did not know that. The Tauck guide did provide roses for us to place at grave sites of our choosing. It was a nice touch to the visit.

Kathy
  • Another nice touch for the cemetery visit....When we went to Normandy 2 years ago, many people in our group (and other visitors) wore something red, white, and blue, a shirt, cap, scarf, even a little flag pin. Unfortunately, I did not pack anything like that, and really wished that I had. When we returned from the trip, I searched for something appropriate and found a pretty scarf with US flags on it. We are going on the Netherlands trip in spring of 2018, and this time I will be prepared. It just seems like the right thing to do. Have a wonderful trip.
    Nancy
  • edited June 2017
    Dixie Chick. We are on the trip departing Amsterdam on April 21 and ends in Brussels on April 28 on the MS Esprit. How about you? And thanks for the ideas about what to bring and/or wear.
    Ed & Vicki
  • Hi AshV Ed (Asheville? we just returned from there)~ we were on the exact same tour this spring. Kathy is totally correct. The staff did tell us about how local families 'adopted' veterans, and some local families are on their third generation of caring for the Veterans graves. The National Monument staff will certainly help you identify the family (if any) of your dad's buddy who is watching over his grave in advance should you want to contact them. Maybe you can meet them? The staff at the cemetery was so helpful to folks on our tour who were searching for a specific grave. They had lots of information for them. If you can't locate the cemetery contact online, if all else fails, call Tauck and ask if they can provide the name of the US overseer of this monument. Our TD was in close contact with these people regarding when we would arrive, etc., , so I am sure it is the same contact for each tour. The Commander there spoke with our group about the history of the cemetery and ushered the inquiring family over to their family member's grave. The staff was really wonderful. Last tip - watch the weather forecasts before you go; it is chilly in the spring.
  • Ed and Vicki
    We will be on the trip that leaves Brussels on April 14, arriving Amsterdam on April 21, also on Esprit. We are arriving a day early in Brussels and going to see Floralia. It is a flower exhibition on the grounds of Groot palace. If younare interested, google it. We are also staying a day after in Amsterdam, maybe seeing Anne Frank house. Surelynthe RDs will have suggestions. I hope we both have wonderful trips and see lots and lots of gorgeous tulips and other flowers.
    Happy travels,
    Nancy
  • @Mazalea: Thanks for the information. We do have the name of the adoptee and hope that we can meet him at the cemetery. We do live in Asheville on the side of a mountain by the Blue Ridge Parkway. Moved here in 2001 and just love it. Best regards. Ed & Vicki

@Dixie Chick: Thanks, Nancy. We're on the MS. Esprit right after you depart in Amsterdam. We're arriving a few days early in Amsterdam to go to the Anne Frank House, several museums and just walk around the city. After ending in Brussels we plan to go to Ypres and visit a few of the WW-I sites. Enjoy your trip.

• Just an FYI about the Anne Frank House - make sure to purchase your tickets online when they become available. I believe it's 60 days in advance of the date you'd want to visit. Some people had to wait 2-3 hours in line to go in, but if you have tickets you go right thru at the time that you purchase them for. So check in February to book them.
  • Thanks to all who provided valuable input. It will help us immensely and we are grateful for your ideas. That's what makes this forum work so well. Happy travels to all of you.
  • We just took this tour this past April. Definitely get your tickets to Anne Frank online. I started checking the website daily about 80 days prior to the day I wanted to go to the museum. As soon as i saw the tickets were available I got them. A few days later I looked and they were gone for the whole day. The line was unbelievable the day we visited. I could not wait in a line like that. The museum was very good and well worth the effort. Another good take in is the Maritime Museum. Very interactive. Also, Zaanse Schans was excellent if you can get there. I am not sure if I am spelling it correctly but it is a windmill community. Very interesting. Have a great trip!
  • We just took this tour this past April. Definitely get your tickets to Anne Frank online. I started checking the website daily about 80 days prior to the day I wanted to go to the museum. As soon as i saw the tickets were available I got them. A few days later I looked and they were gone for the whole day. The line was unbelievable the day we visited. I could not wait in a line like that. The museum was very good and well worth the effort. Another good take in is the Maritime Museum. Very interactive. Also, Zaanse Schans was excellent if you can get there. I am not sure if I am spelling it correctly but it is a windmill community. Very interesting. Have a great trip!
  • Thanks for the advice.
    KEAllen wrote:
    We just took this tour this past April. Definitely get your tickets to Anne Frank online. I started checking the website daily about 80 days prior to the day I wanted to go to the museum. As soon as i saw the tickets were available I got them. A few days later I looked and they were gone for the whole day. The line was unbelievable the day we visited. I could not wait in a line like that. The museum was very good and well worth the effort. Another good take in is the Maritime Museum. Very interactive. Also, Zaanse Schans was excellent if you can get there. I am not sure if I am spelling it correctly but it is a windmill community. Very interesting. Have a great trip!
  • I have great grandparents buried in the Luxembourg Cemetery--does anyone know how I might get there from the American cemetery while we are in Luxembourg?
  • Cosmo, I think you are on the wrong forum. The Holland in the spring river cruise does not go to Luxembourg. The American cemetery that we visit is in the Netherlands.
    There is also an American cemetery in Luxembourg. If you are on the Rhine and Moselle cruise, you will go to it.
  • I took April 20, 23 on Netherlands and Belgium river cruise. From the start no Tauck person sign and wrong location for pick up. Called for pick up even the plane arrived on time. Have travelled with Tauck 6 times previously. The quality of food and services were definitely disappointment. Suchen

• I forgot … how do you spell SPAM?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file