Options

Other options for Johannesburg airport wait time for departure

Given the arrival time at JBurg airport from Victoria Falls @3:30pm, I am thinking about the 8 hour wait for my return flight home and wondering if others decided to extend their trip for a day or so in Johannesburg. If so, did you feel safe on your own in Jburg?
Any other ideas that may have worked for you? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    BCCanada. We are on the trip beginning Sept 8. Which one are you on? We are arriving Cape Town several days in advance and deadheading back to the USA after connection from Victoria Falls. Maybe we'll see you. Ed and Vicki (Asheville, NC)
  • Options
    I felt we saw most of what Johannesburg had to offer on the tour and no, I would not feel safe without doing guided tours via Viator or something like that. Sometimes you just have to hang out at the airport, there are quite a few shops to look around and so on. Or how about having a break somewhere in Europe on the way back instead?
  • Options
    Based on recent email from the US Embassy in South Africa, I would be very careful at OR Tambo and also not go out on your own.a

"The U.S. Mission to South Africa advises U.S. citizens to exercise caution when arranging ground transportation from OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg to hotels, guest houses, and residences. Numerous U.S. citizens and other travelers have been robbed at gun point while traveling from OR Tambo International Airport to their place of lodging in what are known as “follow home” robberies. In some instances, U.S. citizens have been injured or shot at during these robberies.

U.S. citizens should avoid nighttime arrival flights to OR Tambo International Airport. No form of transportation from the airport is considered completely secure and risk-free. Travelers should exercise caution at all times when departing the airport. Travelers should also avoid changing money or utilizing ATMs at the airport, and avoid displaying expensive jewelry, watches, or luggage while traveling."
  • Options
    We just returned from Elegant Adventure - we flew in and out of Joburg several times on this tour. While being vigilant helps, we never felt unsafe. Ignore the offers of help from porters and look as if you know what you are doing. Hotel in Joburg is connected to a mall but not a great one and that is where we felt most uncomfortable. I wouldn't recommend staying there any longer than the 2 nights Tauck includes

We had several in our group who had long layovers there - they shopped (best shopping area of the entire trip) and used the lounge for their airline to spend time.
  • Options
    We stayed at the Protea Hotel, which is in the airport. You do not have to leave the airport. You can stay for a few hours or overnight. We felt very safe there. It is a bit of a walk through the airport, but worked out very well for us. Here is the link: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/jnbtr-protea-hotel-o-r-tambo-airport-transit/
  • Options
    sidecar wrote:
    We stayed at the Protea Hotel, which is in the airport. You do not have to leave the airport. You can stay for a few hours or overnight. We felt very safe there. It is a bit of a walk through the airport, but worked out very well for us. Here is the link: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/jnbtr-protea-hotel-o-r-tambo-airport-transit/
    There is another Protea hotel a few miles from the airport, so be sure to book the correct hotel, it does have an Airport shuttle that comes around every 30 minutes. We will be staying there overnight in a couple of months. The airport attached Protea hotel is clearly signposted, I remember seeing the signs on our last visit.
  • Options
    AshvEd wrote:
    BCCanada. We are on the trip beginning Sept 8. Which one are you on? We are arriving Cape Town several days in advance and deadheading back to the USA after connection from Victoria Falls. Maybe we'll see you. Ed and Vicki (Asheville, NC)

Thanks for your comments and valuable information. I am on the October 27th trip. Hope you have a great time! I am arriving a few days early in Cape Town as well. Haven't figured out how I will spend my extra time in Cape Town yet. Any suggestions you have would be appreciated.

As far as the Jo'Burg stop, friends are suggesting I might want to consider flying to Durban for a few days just to see a little more of the country after making such a lengthy trip to South Africa. I am thinking about it. Carole
  • Options
    Roe Foley wrote:
    We just returned from Elegant Adventure - we flew in and out of Joburg several times on this tour. While being vigilant helps, we never felt unsafe. Ignore the offers of help from porters and look as if you know what you are doing. Hotel in Joburg is connected to a mall but not a great one and that is where we felt most uncomfortable. I wouldn't recommend staying there any longer than the 2 nights Tauck includes

We had several in our group who had long layovers there - they shopped (best shopping area of the entire trip) and used the lounge for their airline to spend time.

Thank you for the information Roe Foley.
  • Options
    British wrote:
    There is another Protea hotel a few miles from the airport, so be sure to book the correct hotel, it does have an Airport shuttle that comes around every 30 minutes. We will be staying there overnight in a couple of months. The airport attached Protea hotel is clearly signposted, I remember seeing the signs on our last visit.

Thank you British!
  • Options
    sidecar wrote:

Thank you sidecar. I will take a look.