Options

River Cruise Dress Code

Hi, I just need a little advice please.

It's my partner's first river cruise and I don't want to give him wrong advice! Of an evening, he likes to wear smart jeans, shoes, a shirt and blazer.

On previous river cruises I have been on this would be perfectly acceptable (except at welcome & farewell dinners) but I just wanted some opinions on this please, I don't want him to be turned away or be made to feel uncomfortable.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Having been on 4 Tauck European river cruises, I seriously doubt your partner would be turned away. As to feeling uncomfortable, that's a totally individual reaction. Personally, I would not feel comfortable in jeans (smart or otherwise), but that's just me. I never observed jeans to be predominant evening wear, but there were those who wore them.
  • Options
    Sorry Klou92, the Tauck river cruise dress code for the past year includes the following statement, "For dinner and throughout the evening, guests should refrain from wearing shorts, t-shirts, jeans, flip-flops or sneakers." This I not just for the special occasion meals. You can find this under the "Before You Go", "What to Pack" tabs for your cruise.

While it's unlikely the crew would actually deny him service, it is the current guidance.
  • Options
    On the Tauck River cruises we have taken I never saw a man in jeans at night. A pair of khaki pants is all he will need, that is what I wore. Even during meals where a jacket was suggested most men did not wear a tie.
  • Options
    There were several men who wore both jeans and shorts to dinner on our river cruise. I assume that they felt comfortable or else they would not have done it. Personally I would choose to adhere to the Tauck guidelines. Just a nice pair of pants and shirt. We have found on every one of our trips that there is at least one person who dresses differently from the rest. We had a woman who wore the same yellow sweatshirt all day -- every day -- on one of our tours. That said -- they are the exception rather than the rule. Enjoy your cruise!!
  • Options
    I wonder if the lady in the yellow sweatshirt is related to the young man on our last cruise that showed up for dinner one night in a bright orange hoodie (and jeans I think). Took a look at the menu and left without eating??????

My husband wears cotton slacks (tan, grey, navy, etc) with a golf shirt for most days then for special dinners wears dress slacks and shirt with maybe a tie and/or sport coat and/or pullover sweater. Our fall Rhine cruise overall had a more casual feel than our Paris/Rhone trip.
  • Options
    LOL, Claudia! There does seem to be at least one on every tour! Rendezvous on the Seine was the cruise we took where several men wore jeans or shorts to dinner.
  • Options
    Sorry Klou92, the Tauck river cruise dress code for the past year includes the following statement, "For dinner and throughout the evening, guests should refrain from wearing shorts, t-shirts, jeans, flip-flops or sneakers." This I not just for the special occasion meals. You can find this under the "Before You Go", "What to Pack" tabs for your cruise.

While it's unlikely the crew would actually deny him service, it is the current guidance.

I agree. This might ruin your trip as well if you insist wearing this stuff. You might end up being upset. You can actually explain him directly. As simple as that and enjoy the trip.
  • Options
    I read that jeans are not really acceptable for evening dining.
  • Options
    don't worry about the dress code. You have spent a lot of money for your vacation on Tauck. People that can afford your trip know how to dress. I have seen many comments about blue jeans , shorts, no jackets for men. -- I've been on Tauck land and river cruise . No one cares. I have seen guys in jeans - so what. I will never ware a jacket again .. Had too for 40 years in business = why now on my vacation. Tauck could not be more accomodating ----wonderful people Don't worry. I've seen many worried about an odd person wearing something they felt was inappropriate REALLY?
    Go and enjoy With Tauck you can't miss.