Options

Water Rationing in Capetown, South Africa?

Is anybody in Capetown, South Africa (or has passed through there in early 2018)? There was a news story on television in mid-January 2018 that reported that--due to lack of rainfall in rivers--water usage in Capetown is being limited at this time. How will water rationing affect the hotel accommodations that Tauck uses and travelers' experience?

Comments

• Options
    We were there in September 2017 and had no issue with the water supply however it was clear that we should be very cautious of the amount of water we used for showers. Bottled water was readily available for us and the Cape Grace had their own water purification system. According to a source in Cape Town, the situation is still critical and rain is desperately needed. He told me yesterday it was 90 days and counting!
  • Options
    Things became even more critical with more restrictions talked about yesterday. I read the BBC NEWS daily and have been following this issue for some time now. It’s worth keeping up with world news on this site. They have daily news items on Africa and just about everywhere else. Forget US news programs!
  • Options
    I know there was another thread on this in the other SA forum. I received a letter from Tauck indicating a couple of things. They state that the SA Minister of Water & Sanitation states that "Day Zero will not happen". It also indicates that the One&Only hotel in Cape Town is taking "aggressive measures to reduce its own water needs while simultaneously sourcing alternative water supplies...At this time we fully expect to operate your journey as planned, and we continue to closely monitor the situation on Cape Town". I guess we will see in June, however I applaud Tauck for being proactive in sending the letter.
  • Options
    taxare wrote:
    I know there was another thread on this in the other SA forum. I received a letter from Tauck indicating a couple of things. They state that the SA Minister of Water & Sanitation states that "Day Zero will not happen". It also indicates that the One&Only hotel in Cape Town is taking "aggressive measures to reduce its own water needs while simultaneously sourcing alternative water supplies...At this time we fully expect to operate your journey as planned, and we continue to closely monitor the situation on Cape Town". I guess we will see in June, however I applaud Tauck for being proactive in sending the letter.

Thank you for the update. I am not taking this trip till next year but hope all goes well this year for residents and travelers. Would appreciate a review from you when you return from your trip if possible.