Pre Tour Day(s) in Tokyo

Going on this trip next March. Will definitely arrive one day early but wondering if we should go two days early and explore parts of Tokyo or do a day trip from Tokyo on our own to see things that we will not see on our tour. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• I would recommend going in two days ahead of the Tauck tour. It will help you with jet-lag, and there is a lot to see in Tokyo. Check out the Top 10 and see some of the places that Tauck does not go to.
  • Thanks. Is there a particular Top Ten List that you use?
  • I have been using either the Lonely Planet (city) Pocket Guide or DK Eyewitness Travel Top 10 (City) Guide. If you don't want to purchase a guide, I would search for the city tourism website and check out Trip Advisor.
  • We explored an area of old Tokyo called Yanaka. I believe I read about it in a Fodor's travel guide. When I mentioned going there to our TD, he thought that any time one had an opportunity to explore an older section of Tokyo, it was well worth the time. We found the temples, buildings and shopping area very interesting. Unfortunately, our adventure was cut short by the weather--rainy and very cold (even in April). I think there are some companies that will do a tour there, but we navigated with a map and the friendly help of some teenagers who helped us locate the start of our walk. It might be worth investigating. It also gave me the opportunity to get some signatures in my Temple book.
  • We went to the Tokyo Fish Market, absolutely fascinating. It is about a 15 minute taxi ride from the hotel.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file