Options

Danube Reflections Eastbound - Sep 6 - 17, 2018 Guests Forum

We are on the 9/6-17/18 Danube Reflections Eastbound. We're from Phoenix. Where are you coming from? Arriving day early and looking for restaurant recommendations. Thanks in advance for your info.

Comments

• Options
    We just got back from this trip and it was a great experience. If you haven't downloaded the Tauck app, you might want to do so. They have restaurant suggestions on it. We just wandered away from the hotel and found something close by. I don't even remember the name.
  • Options
    Effie:

We are on the late September tour out of Vienna. On our Day 3 we go to the Vienna Woods. How did you like that experience and how was the lunch and entertainment?
  • Options
    We chose the Vienna Woods tour and when we compared notes with those who chose the Schönbrunn Castle tour they said we picked the best one. First there was the overview of Vienna and then a tour of an Art Nouveau church. Getting to the church requires walking up three or four graded slopes and then four (I think) flights of steps. The tour guide stopped at almost every flat place so people could catch their breath and he walked slowly. One person had a bad leg and used a cane but didn't have a problem making it.

We did not have a bad meal during the whole trip and my scales reflect that. The lunch at the Winter Riding School and the dinner at Palais Pallavicini were particularly memorable.

• Options
    Effie:

Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    Effie wrote:
    We chose the Vienna Woods tour and when we compared notes with those who chose the Schönbrunn Castle tour they said we picked the best one.

To each their own. I'm glad you were happy with your choice. We chose Schönbrunn and were happy with our choice. Schönbrunn is a little bit out from the city center, so not easily seen on your own (although the Hop On Hop Off buses go there). Schönbrunn is a mini Versailles with large, beautiful gardens. The guide for the palace tour was entertaining and informative. The is a fair amount of free time, so you can stroll through gardens. You can also visit the carriage museum, the small zoo, take a carriage ride around the grounds, or wander through the hedge maze (all of these have extra charges involved). The only negative is that the Schönbrunn is the most visited tourist sight in Vienna, so expect crowds.

We also went to the Prater park and rode the Vienna Giant Wheel (Wiener Riesenrad). This is oldest large ferris wheel still operating (1897 - 212 ft. tall). For many years it was the largest ferris wheel in the world. It was really fun and I recommend it for people who like that sort of thing. They also have special cars that are outfitted for meals or a formal tea, if you make advance reservations. Good views of Vienna. It's surrounded by an old fashioned amusement park. We had fun walking around and seeing the kids of Vienna at play. It is a long walk from the hotel, but you can take the U Bahn (Vienna's subway), if you prefer.

So much to see and do in Vienna. We had an extra day and still felt that we could have seen a lot more.
  • Options
    Ken - your tour sounds wonderful. I don't know why people weren't enthused about it other than we'd seen a lot of castles by then but this one sounds as though it was spectacular. I don't know if it's possible for Tauck to have a mediocre tour.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Effie wrote:
    Ken - your tour sounds wonderful. I don't know why people weren't enthused about it other than we'd seen a lot of castles by then but this one sounds as though it was spectacular. I don't know if it's possible for Tauck to have a mediocre tour.

Sorry you missed Schönbrunn. At least it gives you a reason to visit on another tour. We'll probably go back to Vienna ourselves on a different tour in a few years.

Our one regret was that we didn't do Cerveny Kamen Castle in Bratislava. That sounded really good. We did the Bratislava "active" walking tour instead. While our local guide was great, I think we could have walked around on our own in the afternoon (we had copies of guidebook pages) and been satisfied that we had seen the old town.

One last thing. I'm not sure if I was clear in the previous post. We did the Ferris Wheel on our own time.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Ken, did you hike up to the Gloriette on the hill in the gardens at Schonbrunn? Supposedly the view of the city from the café and the observation deck was fantastic. I was thinking about making the short climb, but my wife didn't want to go.

IMG_8816r.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Alan-
    We made it up to the crest of the hill, but not to the Gloriette itself. It started to sprinkle and we rushed back down to avoid getting caught at the top (no umbrella or plastic bag for my camera that day - it wasn't supposed to rain). As it happens, it stopped raining as soon as we got to the bottom.

As to the view, it was good, but not so much of the city. Nice perspective on the palace and gardens, but the city is just a jumble of gray buildings and red tile roofs in the background with one church standing out (St. Steven's ?). You can't see it from below, but there is a second reflecting pool in front of the Gloriette. Makes for some nice shots of the Gloriette.

If you do an image search on "Gloriette" you'll find some shots that show the reflecting pool. A image search for "Schonbrunn Palace" will yield in the results some pictures from the top of the hill.

Wikipedia has a shot from the top of the hill here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schönbrunn_Palace#/media/File:Schloss_Schönbrunn_Wien_2014_(Zuschnitt_2).jpg
  • Options
    We are on the Eastbound trip beginning Sept 6 and are enjoying reading the posts from other travelers. We are from Ohio and Colorado. We will be arriving in Prague on Sept 4. We are flying into Munich so have hired a driver to get to Prague. We are taking Sunset Photo tour on Sept 5 and a Morning Photo tour on the 6th. If anyone is interested in joining us I can give you the name of the photographer we booked with.
  • Options
    Schönbrunn is a mini Versailles with large, beautiful gardens. The guide for the palace tour was entertaining and informative. The is a fair amount of free time, so you can stroll through gardens. You can also visit the carriage museum, the small zoo, take a carriage ride around the grounds, or wander through the hedge maze (all of these have extra charges involved). The only negative is that the Schönbrunn is the most visited tourist sight in Vienna, so expect crowds.

My wife and I were just at Schonbrunn in late May (2018). To say the crowds of tourists were overwhelming couldn't be stated strongly enough. If you don't like crowds, this isn't going to be fun for you. To characterize it as a mini Versailles is completely accurate - it's beautiful. My only disappointment was that you really don't see that much of the interior of the palace - which is admittedly HUGE.

The other consideration for touring the interior of the palace is the lack of air movement. As I previously wrote, my wife and I were there in May, with outside temps in the upper 80's and lower 90s F. I could see people on our tour who were just about to faint from the temps within the palace and the lack of air movement. If it's hot outside, you need to take this into consideration.

Back to the grounds... it's stunning.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file