September 7, 2018 tour

Just curious who else may be on this tour starting September 7th?

This is our 2nd Tauck Africa tour. Did K & T in 2016 and were smitten with that part of Africa, so we thought this would be a good tour to check out some other cultural/historic areas as well as safari. We are coming from Southern California, so recovering from the flight is always a bit of a problem the first couple of days. We are looking forward to the beginning days in Cape Town and will arrive a day early to recover from jet lag.

A little disappointed the Robben Island tour is no longer offered, but understand the reasons Tauck does not want to take the risks. Still undecided if we may do it on our own. Interested if anyone else is considering this.

Look forward to meeting everyone.

Comments

• We were on the very last Tauck Tour that went to Robben Island and would highly recommend it. It does provide some insight into Apartheid and the many years Nelson Mandela was in prison. There are several other places on this trip that you will visit that add more to the story. The view back to Cape Town from R.I. is spectacular. The entire trip was amazing and was one of the best we have been on.
  • We did Robben Island with Tauck and loved it, did not know it was no longer on the tour, what is the reason?
    If you go on your own I understand you have to book a long time in advance.
  • Re; Robben Island. This is what Tauck sent us a couple of months ago:

" we will be unable to provide an excursion to Robben Island as planned. The island lies more than four miles off of Cape Town’s coast, the seas in the area are frequently roiled by large oceanic swells, and an incident last year involving the ferries that service the island have called their safety into question.

In addition, the administrators at Robben Island now require all foreign visitors to provide their passport numbers prior to touring the island, and we are not 100% convinced that this information will remain secure. Out of an abundance of caution, and with your safety and the security of your personal information as our overriding priorities, we have reluctantly decided to make this change.
  • In that case, I am impressed byTauck’s decision. In fact, I think I do remember that ferry incident.
  • We were aware of the issues surrounding transit by boat to the island. We had no visibility to the Passport security issues. Weigh the risks.