Basel to Amsterdam

We are on the August 25, 2018 departure. Does anyone have any information on the water levels?

Comments

• Here's the link to a website that reports on this.

http://www.rivercruiseinfo.com/content/river-levels

As of this moment all the river levels look fine. However, I will warn you that their report can change from day to day and that even if it says that levels are low, it doesn't necessarily mean it will affect your cruise. We did an entire Rhine/Moselle cruise with levels reported low and had no change to our itinerary. The river ships need very few feet under them to sail.
  • While I can't give you an answer about the Rhine, I can give you at least a partial answer for the Danube. We returned last night from a GCCL riverboat trip from Prague to Budapest. The first few days, as does Tauck, were on land. We were on the boat from Linz to Budapest. Although we heard reports of problems with low water levels, we were all right till we headed to Budapest from Vienna. While we reached it safely, other ships that draw more water than our ship which draws only 5 feet, couldn't sail. The water was six feet deep at that point. I don't know how much water Tauck
    ships draw. On Friday all ships were limited to daytime sailing for at least the next two weeks. Viking ships are larger so right now they're basically acting as hotels with guests being bused from one town to the next with a new ship hotel at each stop. We saw very few ships or barges being operated. We also heard that the Danube is closed from Passau to Regensburg because of the low levels. We were on a Christmas Market riverboat cruise in 2010 and that segment was closed then because of high water that kept the boats from being able to go under the bridge. What a difference a change in weather can make! Right now rain is desperately needed, but the weather is hot and dry.