Belgium beer

I will be traveling through Belgium and will be staying there for 5 days. I heard they are really famous for their original beers, can anybody give me some recommendations? I'm into dark stuff, stouts mostly. Thank you very much.

Comments

• Tauck took us to De Koninck Brewery in Antwerp for a tasting. There are 6-7 brewers who can legally be called Trappist Ale brewers and you should check out a few of them. Do a search to find their names. Enjoy.
  • A second vote for Trappist Ales. You can get them in the US, but they are so much better fresh in Belgium. If you're in Bruges, take the tour at Brouwerij De Halve Maan (Half Moon Brewery). It a short walk from the old town center. Very entertaining tour and they have a tasting room with food. They have a beer called Straffe Hendrik (strong Henry) that you might like (drink in moderation, high in alcohol).

You can drop into any pub in Belgium and ask about their beers. The Belgians are justfiable proud of their beers and will be happy to help find one that suits you.

Also, while in Belgium have some Moules Frites (mussels and fries - practically the national dish) and some chocolate. Belgian chocolate is the best (sorry Switzerland).
  • If in Flanders visit St. Sixtus Abbey in Westvleteren or the pub/restaurant next door. These don't ever make it to the US and rarely found outside the town. The Westvleteren brewery has made quite the name for itself with its widely beloved beer and limited production. It all started with a charming origin story: as the abbey was being built in 1831, the construction workers each had the right to two beers a day according to their contract, so the monks started brewing these themselves in order to save some money. Almost two centuries later, Westvleteren 12 (one of four beers produced at the monastery) has been declared the best beer in the world multiple times over. Given the skyrocketing demand, the small scale of the monks’ brewing operation and the fact that you have to drive up to the monastery itself to get a crate or two, it’s not easy to get a hold of one of these bad boys.
  • Thank you kindly for your elaborate comments. I will be travelling through Bruges, in fact, that's one of the main reasons I'm going to Belgium! I heard it's one of the most beautiful cities in Europe, can't wait to get there. Will visit Half Moon Brewery when I get there for sure.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file