Northern Tanzania Safari + Zanzibar, Jan 2019

This is a video of my 10 day Tauck Tour Safari to Tanzania and Zanzibar that we took in January 2019. The video describes what a Tauck safari really is all about. Most equate safaris with seeing animals great and small. And certainly you will see animals far away requiring high power binoculars and a telephoto lens to photograph. But at least in the Serengeti you will see the animals and birds up close, just a few feet away from you. This video focuses mainly on the safari experience which involves the lodges and tent camps one stay at and the very long bumpy, dusty and in our case rainy game drives. Overall our food was excellent and Western throughout. The hotels, lodges and tent camps all shown in separate videos were modern and excellent. The nightly entertainment at most locations was wonderful. Sadly, safaris remain not suitable for the handicap. Our Tauck guide Zak was excellent as were the local Tanzanian Safari guides. The highlight of the trip was seeing and being almost under the "Lion Tree" full of lions sleeping on the branches to get away from the flies. Finally no animals were harmed in the production of this video.

The You Tube video link to the Safari Video is:
https://youtu.be/CvAMFcKHHn4

Comments

• edited February 2019
    Thank you for the wonderful video. I really enjoyed it.
  • I do enjoy the Videos and cannot wait to experience Africa myself. My son and I have reserve 9 Sept 2019 trip to Tanzania-Serengeti to Zanzibar. Are there anyone out there planning that trip and date? I have read some of the forums regarding monies, camera, tents, etc. I want to bring the binoculars, camera with lenses, etc. but that is a lot of weight to carry. I pack very light on the trips (I am over 70) and do not have the zap I use to have. Any suggestions on packing for the jeep? I am looking forward to the nature, adventure, freedom, and mostly fun!
  • edited February 2019
    What do you wish to do on the safari? See the animals that are close by to your vehicle or see the far away specs on the horizon animals a 1/2 mile + away? Most people just had their latest model cell phones. A few had excellent light weight small cameras costing under $1,000. My video was shot with a 10 year old traditional camcorder. No I could not take pictures/video of the really far away animals with it. But eventually all animals were close by to us. One just had to be ready and be patient. The only person with the heavy equipment was our guide. My wife went without any binoculars or cameras and enjoyed herself immensely. The scenery is wonderful all by itself. If you wish to capture high quality pictures that will win the Tauck photo contest, then you will need the big stuff. I reached a point pretty quickly on the tour of not taking pictures of animals more than 50 feet away from me. Any camera or binoculars works then.
    Hope this helps
  • edited February 2019
    The video is excellent. I guess the rains finished late this season. The wet roads must have cut down on the dust a lot.
    I love the lion tree! And we have not seen cheetahs on our last two Safari vacations at all. They seem to be more and more difficult to find. But everyone sees different things, I have been surrounded by rhinos, Wild dogs and hyenas on my most recent tours. That’s why I love to go back because it is always different. Never mind that it stops me going to places I have never been.
    Cameras. I have a medium weight camera with adjustable lens and it takes great photos. I never take a camera bag, I just put it inside a waterproof sack, about $8 for 3 of different sizes from Walmart. I have never had my camera damaged by carrying it this way. We both use very lightweight foldable ruck sacs for on the vehicles that carry cameras, water, puffer jacket or fleece, shirt and hat and gloves thst we peel off as it gets warmer.
    I still saw people mainly using cameras rather than iPhones, on my last trip to Africa just being over a year ago. People do use iPhones but you really have to be careful your phone isn’t jolted out of your hand and out of the vehicle, I have seen it happen.
    After the first one or two rides when you anxiously try to photograph animals that are a long way off and are so proud by the shot, the next few days you find yourself deleting those shots because you see the same species of animal right next to your vehicle. It all adds to the fun.
    I have noticed that the Tauck photo competition photos generally have people in them.
    I dared to suggest once that one can actually appreciate the safaris more when you see them with your eyes rather than through a camera lens, but that did not go down well on the forum even though more recent research has proved that you commit things better to long term memory seeing them with your eyes more than with a camera. It’s always worth putting your camera down for a while and taking in the whole view.
  • Thank you so much 'imalemon' for the video! It was GREAT video and extremely helpful for my family and friends who are going on this trip in a few weeks. You answered so many questions I had, and really gave me a good sense of what the trip would be like. I think Tauck should give you a discount on your next trip because you really did a great job showing the wonderful experience Tauck always provides. I love going on trips with them and am really excited about this trip coming up. Thank you again for taking the time to make this and share it with your fellow Tauck friends. :)

• Thank you for posting. You did a wonderful video... covered so much with great shots! It’s a keeper 👍
    We are going in Sept. To see this was very helpful.
    I am confused about the electric while we are there. I’ve read we need a converter , do we then use an adapter with it? Also there’s a warning on the converter not to use with electronics? I see you had a laptop plugged in one of your shots. Any advice would be appreciated.
    It seems you we’re very pleased with your trip -thanks again.

• As long as your husband's CPAP is dual voltage, you will not need a Converter. If it is not dual voltage, then you need to find a converter that has enough power to convert to the 220/240 in Tanzania. An adapter attaches to your American plug and then into the wall receptacle. Either a three pin round or three pin square grounded adapter, sorry, don’t remember the letters they go under, but they are easily found on Amazon, Target and travel stores for example.
    Modern cameras, iPhones and iPads all convert automatically.

• Thank you also for showing on the Hotel video's what type of electrical outlets the rooms have!
    Enjoyed the trip video very much and gives us an idea of what to expect!!