Options

Kenya - Tanzania trip: innoculations

Sorry that my first post is not about being excited about our June trip. I can't tell what districts in Kenya we are going to. Per the CDC, the yellow fever vaccine is not recommended for travel in certain districts but is in others. The districts listed are the entire North Eastern Province; the states of Kilifi, Kwale, Lamu, Malindi, and Tanariver in the Coastal Province; and the cities of Mombasa and Nairobi. Is it needed for this trip or at least what districts do we go to? Have others gotten this vaccine? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Ruth,

I am on the May 5th trip and did all my vaccinations last month at my local state health department. Yes, it was rather confusing for me to figure out on my own whether or not I needed it, but the health department gave me the shot so I assume we do need it. The other vaccines and/or boosters I received were the malaria pills (I had 2 options, I chose Malarone because it does not make you as vulnerable to sunburn as the other option), Hepatitis B, Hepatitis A, Typhoid, something called an IPV booster, and something called a Tdap. Rest assured, the only vaccines I needed to get that day were the yellow fever and Typhoid (and the rx for the malaria pills). The rest of the stuff I had already gotten years ago from other travels, but they do recommend all that stuff for traveling to Africa I believe. I hope that helps!

-Margaux
  • Options
    Great information. Thank you.
  • Options
    Our doctor said we did not need the yellow fever vaccination. Has anyone been told this as well?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    This information came from Passport Health where my husband and I went to get our required and suggested immunizations:

"Medical Alert: Due to a current outbreak of yellow fever, the ministry of health in Tanzania and Zanzibar is taking precautionary measures and has requested that everyone show a valid yellow fever certificate at all ports of entry. Please remember to carry your yellow fever vaccination cards when entering Tanzania from another country and also when traveling to Zanzibar and all ports of debarkation in Tanzania."

Also:

IPV is the Polio vaccine - whether or not you need this depends on what, if anything, you received in childhood. Polio vaccination began in 1955. From Center for Disease Control: Most adults 18 and older do not need polio vaccine because they were vaccinated as children. But some adults are at higher risk and should consider polio vaccination: (1) people traveling to areas of the world where polio is common, (2) laboratory workers who might handle polio virus, and (3) health care workers treating patients who could have polio.

Tdap is Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis - also given routinely in childhood after 2005. Td (tetanus and diphtheria only) was given prior to that date. From Center for Disease Control: All adults should get a booster dose of Td every 10 years. Adults under 65 who have never gotten Tdap should get a dose of Tdap as their next booster dose. Adults 65 and older may get one booster dose of Tdap.

I hope this is helpful.

Lynne

http://www.passporthealthusa.com/locations/
    http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines
This discussion has been closed.