Mt. Titlis

Can anyone who has done this trip tell me if we will need extra layers to stay warm at the top of Mt Titlis in late September? (We are trying to pack only what we need)

Comments

• edited June 2018
    FxChpl2 wrote:
    Can anyone who has done this trip tell me if we will need extra layers to stay warm at the top of Mt Titlis in late September? (We are trying to pack only what we need)

We took the old UA&D in June 2014, so didn't visit Mt. Titlis (10,623 ft.). We did not need anything more than our fleece's at Grossglockner pass (8,215 ft.) or on the Zugspitze (9,718 ft). It just wasn't that cold and we weren't out in the cold long enough at either place. I suppose in windy conditions it might get quite chilly.

Grossglockner Pass on the High Alpine Road:

IMG_0718rr.jpg

IMG_0483rr.jpg
  • Thank you AlanS.
  • concerning Mt. Titlis: we just returned in July. This is a newly revamped trip and was fantastic! We did back to back with Switzerland and this was far better than the latter. Mt. Titlis is chilly/cold...there are ice caves and therefore you need many layers. I took silk long underwear as well as a turtle neck, a fleece jacket and pants and a light puffy jacket. I took hiking boots and poles, both of which I used but I have a balance issue. Snow is being made there for the Asians who never saw it. This sounds a bit overdone, but we go prepared for any weather. If you look at the activities online about Mt. Titlis, you can see how people are dressed. I didn't need all that I took but you definitely need gloves and headgear. I used a Buff but took a fleece cap. You really only need many layers for the ice cave and walking on the outdoor walk if you choose to do so. We are 71 and did everything but the stuff for kids: tubing, slides. We took the ski lift over and again to get from place to place...obviously outdoors. Hope this helps!
  • traveler64 - yes, your post is very helpful. I would not have thought about gloves and hat. Thank you!
  • We just returned from the Ultimate Alps & Dolomites - August 2018. We needed our packable down jackets on the Grossglockner summit. We also pulled out our stocking caps. We were outside for only about 20 minutes, but it was very windy and chilly. Several travelers purchased hats and gloves and the store on the summit. We were on Mt. Titlis on a warm sunny day. We did not need our winter gear that day, but we were told the idyllic weather was unusual. We did spend 2+ hours outside at the top. We would have needed winter gear on a chilly, windy and/or cloudy day. Packable down jackets might be a good idea. Hiking shoes, or shoes with a good tread, would also be beneficial for walking on the snow.
  • Thank you, SharonE!
  • We just returned from this trip. We were blessed with a beautiful day on Mt. Titlis! There was quite a bit of natural snow and everyone had layers. We wore our puffy coats through the glacier ice cave. But for the cliff walk bridge and the tubing we had our jackets unzipped. So, be prepared and take it as it comes. Our backpacks always had raincoats (just in case), and on those days we were going over passes or knew weather would be nippy, we had hats, gloves and puffy coats on or in our backpack as well. Enjoy!

• We did this tour l last week. The wether was sunny and “warm.” No puffer jackets needed. Layers—-fleece pullover and windbreaker were plenty. Don’t miss the “Ice Flyer.” It’s like an amusement park ride over the glacier.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file