Options

Deet

I'm going on the August 11 trip and am wondering how may 4 oz containers of Deet you need for this trip and also did you spray your clothing prior to packing. Would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has taken this trip. Thank's Blackmagic 79

Comments

• Options
    dear blackmagic

if you read some of the posts on the topic
    some people said they did not need any spray. most said there were very little bugs & mosquitos

so you should being a couple of cans to be safe

I also contacted someone that went on the trip last year, & he said the most they needed was one can

I was wondering if you can help me with regard to the vaccinations & malaria pills
    NO ONE SEEMS TO HAVE AN ANSWER

What shots are you getting ,if any ,and what malaria pills ,if any, are you taking

Base don the CDC, it seems nothing is required but people are getting shots & pills for precautionery reasons

also, one post said if you do not have proof of shots they will not let you in to kenya or tanzania
    do you know if that is true?

I would appreciate any information you can give me on this topic

I am going 9-28 to 10-12-2012

It really bothers me Tauck is of no help on this topic, they should be ashamed of themselves

anyway, instead of contacting me thru the site you can just email me directly at

carlcpacfpmba@optonline.net

it is better that way

thank you !

• Options
    Hello CarlAnthony,

My apologies that you did not find the answers you were looking for, let me try my best to take a stab at your question regarding vaccinations:

The countries visited on this itinerary may require travelers to provide proof of vaccination against certain diseases in order to enter the country. However, these requirements are subject to frequent change as outbreaks occur and subside in different areas, and it is therefore crucial that you obtain the very latest information on entry requirements as you prepare for your journey.

For the most current information, please consult the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) at http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/list.htm and the World Health Organization (WHO) at http://www.who.int/ith/en/. . Besides providing details on vaccination requirements, these sites can also provide information on vaccinations that may be recommended (but aren’t required) and other potential health issues for which no vaccines are available.

It is Tauck's recommendation as well as that of the CDC to consult your personal doctor or a travel doctor to determine what you will need, depending on factors such as your health and immunization history, and planned activities. You may want to visit 4–6 weeks before your trip to allow time for your vaccines to take effect and to start taking medicine to prevent malaria, if you need it.

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions please feel free to ask.
    Emily

• Options
    thank you

It seems this is a lot of work to actually figure out what vaccines are needed or required versus what actuially people take

I only want to received the shots required, not what is suggested

the doctors just want to give as many shots as possible
    the CDC website does not require any shots and only suggests taking malaria pills

yet I am concerned that if I do not get any vaccinations I may not be allowed to enter into kenya or tanzania

I have been emailing with several people on this topic and no one has the answers

one peoson that went last year, just got a bunch of shots whether were needed or not

a couple of other people are asking my advice

so whatever information you can provide will help

one questtion perhaps you can find out is, what is the protocol upon entering kenya or tanzania
    is proof of vaccinations required or not?

If I determine that no shots are required and I decide not to receive any, will I be denied entry into either of those countries?

thank you
  • Options
    I would like to know answers to what you are asking as well! We are going on July 18.
  • Options
    Today I researchd the WHO website & I came up empty. I could not find anywhere about what vaccinations are required for Kenya and Tanzania and nothing about maleria pills. I found the site not user friendly.

The CDC website is much better, at least it suggests to take malaria pills and you can focus only on Kenya & Tanzania.
    Per the CDC website, no vaccines are required.

The WHO website, for what I need to get out of it, is useless.

This whole process is very frustrating. There are no answers , no one really knows and it is just a waste of my time and I am going around in a circle.

As far as I am concerned, I prefer not to take any vaccinations & will only take malaria pills since someone posted that with only bite I can get malaria.

The doctors want to give me every shot possible, of course, but why should I if it is not required. Why subject myself to a reaction from a shot I do not need.

So my question to anyone that reads this post, is does anyone know for a fact what is needed, if anything, as proof of vaccinations to gain entry into Kenya and tanzania?

The last thing I need is to not be allowed to enter Kenya or Tanzania because I did not have proof of a vaccination (even though it is not required by the WHO & CDC).

IF ANYONE KNOWs, PLEASE CONTACT ME.
    THANK YOU
  • Options
    I have spoken to both the Kenya and Tanzania High Commissions in Ottawa and was informed as long as you fly KLM through Amsterdam to Arusha and then enter Kenya through Tanzania you do not require shots for Yellow fever,etc. However if you land in Kenya first then Tanzania will require the shots. It is all your call and what you feel works for you. Talk to your travel clinic before you make your choice. Myself I will get the yellow fever shot as a precaution
  • Options
    You make a very interesting point, cantraveller. Imagine what a pain it would be if, for some reason, your otherwise direct flight to Arusha had to land in Nairobi en route? Without that Yellow Fever certificate you'd be in a right pickle, no? Not to mention you run the risk of putting yourself in jeopardy should there be a flare up, as Emily mentioned. I'm not sure that the contagious disease flare-up wizard would care one way or t'other if there were unvaccinated people arriving in the region. More like he'd be smacking his lips with relish.

As cantraveller says, it is your call, carlanthonyl. For myself, I know I'd rather not say ..."here, kitty," to a hungry lion, knowing it is safer to be inside the Jeep, than jogging along beside it and looking like breakfast!

You might also consider consulting the fine print in your travel insurance policy before you decide. As always, the best advice is to take expert advice. I hope you have some wonderful experiences on what really will be a trip of a life time.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    To those of you confused about immunizations for the Classic Safari trip. We know how you feel but got some good advice from someone who traveled to Central America.
    We go in late July and have started our shots etc. The best advice I have is to contact your local health dept.-their immunization clinic. They have computer maps and the most recent travel warnings for anywhere in the world. We got typhoid (1 pill a day every other day for 4 doses altho friends of ours got an injection), polio, tetanus/dipth., yellow fever, and Hepatitis injections (Hep. is given in a series). The nurse at the HD told us that Kenya requires yellow fever shot to enter the county and will be willing to give it to you at the border, but you must stay in quarantine for 10 days at your expense before they will let you in. We were given a prescription for doxycycline to take 2 days before departure, while we are there and 1 month after. There are other choices for the malaria preventive but they have more side effects and are more expensive. As it was we will be spending about $850 for 2 of us on the innoculations.
    We have a record given to us and will make a copy of it for security purposes along with copies of everything else. Hope this helps. Go the easiest and most knowledgeable route-the local health department. Nanabanana
  • Options
    Seriously folks having been to Tanzania and kenya twice I would find out what you need and take it full stop.

Its not a overly dangerous place but why spoil a holiday with something that could have been prevented.

By the way you will have a great time, but be warned it won't be your last time to Africa it really gets under your skin.

Enjoy the sundowners the mornings and sunsets are to die for.

And if you hear a Lion at Night just soak it all up because it will stay with you forever.

p.s. I am from Australia
  • Options
    Can't imagine how I already knew that, Wallaby ..... ;)

Cheers, (or should that be cooee!)

Jan
  • Options
    regarding qty of Deet, to be honest you won't need a lot, probably only on the Serengetti or masai mara and only in bushland area's where the tests will be , they bite but they are mainly a problem if you stop, so tell the driver to get going and wind up windows fast..lol

The funny thing is that the Deet doesn't really work so swatting is the best defence....both yourself and your travelling companions, everyone helps everyone out...LOL
This discussion has been closed.