Options

Vienna question

We are taking the Tauck Blue Danube in July and on the Vienna stop must choose between the excursion to Schonbrunn Palace or the Imperial Apartments at the Hofburg. Since we would like to do both we are thinking of doing Schonbrunn which is the more distant and then trying the Hofburg on our own. Is this realistic in one day? We do have the morning of the following day also available.

Comments

• Options
    We have visited both Schonbrunn and the Hofburg Palace. Both are beautiful and well worth seeing. However, if I had to choose, my preference is Schonbrunn. We've been there twice. It rivals Versailles and the Royal Palace in Madrid. If you have free time the next morning, by all means go to the Hofburg Palace on your own. It's wonderful also. If you do go, be sure to see the magnificent silver collection in addition to the Imperial Apartments. The extent and beauty of the silver is almost unbelievable!
  • Options
    Also in Vienna if Tauck doesn't take you there, be sure to see the city's most loved edifice, the magnificent Gothic Stephansdom. Almost a quarter of a million glazed tiles adorn its beautiful roof. It is very close to the Hofburg Palace, so if you visit the palace in your free time you won't have to go very far from it to see the cathedral.
  • Options
    Thank you. I appreciate your advice.
  • Options
    We are going in Aug from Budapest to Prague. How much free time do we have the first day in Vienna after doing the tours with Tauck? Also how much free time do we have the next day before we leave? Thanks
  • Options
    Hi:

Just returned last night from Budapest to Prague cruise. We loved it and the boat is truly elegant. Loads of thoughts and suggestions, and will write them down for future travelers over the next several days.

Plenty of free time both afternoons in Vienna. Schonbrunn was lovely and very understandable as far as its history goes. The dinner in the palace is a great experience, and you will recognize almost all the music from both the musicians and the singers.

Sharon
  • Options
    Do Schonbrunn. You can probably do both if you hustle.
This discussion has been closed.