"Been There" Virtual Travel Quiz? Round #28

edited April 2020 in General

See Round #20 for info about and rules for the contest.

Round #26 won by MCD
Submitted by BKMD. Photo of a suspended orange tree in Old Jaffa, an area at the south end of the Tel Aviv, Israel. Jaffa is thought to be the oldest port in the world, with its history going back 4000 years! This is a work of art by artist Ran Morin, who created the statue in 1993 can be found in the Lion alleyway.

Round #27 won by TravelGuy
Submitted by AlanS. The Sun Gate at Machu Picchu, Peru. 1.2 mi. and 1000' of climb on a rough, rocky, steep, trail from the entrance to the main archaeological site. Peru & the Galapagos Islands.

Round #28 is officially open. Submit your photo in a reply. [Leave a Comment] to this announcement.

Comments

• edited April 2020

This is a multiple part question
    1. Who are these people?
    2. Where is this picture taken?
    3. What is the significance of the COLORFUL clothing and face paint?
    4. These people are known for consuming a certian item. What is it?

Bonus Question: How the heck did I get color in the Text?

• edited April 2020

Hindu Shaiva Sadhus (Holy Man), in India somewhere along a river, probably the Ganges, but more likely Hindu Vaishnava Sadhus in Katmandu, Nepal. The saffron color indicates strength and courage and orange is the color of joy and creativity. Also red, orange, saffron, ochre —the colors of fire, the sun, blood and the earth —are the colors preferred by Hindu ascetics. and their faces are painted in accordance with the deity they have devoted themselves to (Shiva or Vishnu.) They sometimes drink pot infused 'Bang.'

Bonus: GOT ME! But I bet you have a simpler way to do it than I have been using.

Bonus answer: In case inquiring minds wanted to know :D : The two guys on the right are doing the Hasta (hand) Chin mudra with one or both of their hands

This is a very commonly used mudra in meditations. Touch the tip of your index finger with the tip of your thumb. The other three fingers, you may keep them straight or free. It doesn’t matter even if they are slightly bent.
    Benefits:
    Redirects the “Prana” or the flow of energy within our body
    Improves and increases concentration
    Stimulates of the energies based at the Mooladhara Chakra

• edited April 2020

Definitely Kathmandu at the Pandra Shivalaya opposite the Pashupati Aryaghat temple (cremation site on the Bagmati River).

Featured on the Tauck Northern India & Nepal trip.

• edited April 2020

Alan is the first to identify these as the Sadhus in Kathmandu. Portolan correctly identified the site as Pashupatinath Temple. The Sadhu's are frequent users of cannabus.
    Here are a few more pictures of the Temple and cremation site.
    The pictures were taken on the Tauck Northern India and Nepal tour.

PM me if you want information on how to color text but be prepared to bored out of your mind.

• edited April 2020

What do you suppose the water quality is in that river? :o

Snore . . . . :o John, you got a lot of html going on there! :)

I'll start Round #29 in a few . . .

• What do you suppose the water quality is in that river?

Although we did not see it directly, there are people who go into the water to salvage anything of value such as gold teeth. I think the monkeys use the river as drinking water. The whole area had an indescribable bad odor.