Options

How much money to bring?

We are going on the July 7th trip. We absolutely don't have a clue about how much money to
bring. $1000, or $1500 or $2,000? I know smaller denominations are better. The other problem
is that I finally found a bank that could give me about $400 in smaller denominations (new money).

Comments

• Options
    We were on the May 19 Classic Safari, and we needed very little cash. Most of our purchases (bar, gift shop) were in the hotels where you could charge anything to your room and then pay your hotel bill with cash or a credit card. The only time we needed cash was to buy souvenirs at the Masai village (in the village, remember to pay only 1/4 of what they ask). EVERYTHING is in American money. You do not need any Tanzanian or Kenyan shillings. In my opinion, $1,000 is way too much cash to bring. Suggest about $250 in $1, $5, and $10 bills. Have a wonderful trip!
  • Options
    Whoops! I forgot about tips! At the end of the trip, of course, we tipped the Tauck Tour leader according to the guidelines in the literature; but we also gave extra tips to the excellent local drivers/guides. (Each day, you are assigned a different vehicle so that you get to meet all the guides and get the benefit of each one's particular knowledge and experience.)

Those tips are included in the total cost of the tour; but most couples gave an extra $5 to each driver, as they went above and beyond the call of duty to make sure we all had the best experience possible. They were so interesting, and so friendly and made sure we got a great view of all the wildlife.

Therefore my estimate of $250 was too low. Consider $600 - $700.
  • Options

Thanks for that information. We will definitely scale down our cash. Next question: did you use a credit card at the hotel? I understand that the
    credit card company charges you 10%. I have also heard that a card may be duplicated?
    Bernice
  • Options
    Most credit cards charge a 3% foreign transaction fee, but you'll need to check the terms & conditions of your card to know exactly what it is for yours. There are also several credit cards available with no foreign transaction fee. I haven't specifically been to Africa, but I've never had a problem using a credit card internationally. And if for some reason your card number is stolen, then you have fraud protection from the bank.
  • Options
    We did not use credit cards at the hotel, as we had minimal charges of maybe 2 cocktails, a few things at the gift shop, and some laundry. By the way, the laundry is fast, good, and inexpensive at the hotels. You can manage this trip with 3 pair of pants, 3 shirts, and a sweater or sweatshirt, but in the two fancier hotels - Mt. Kenya Safari Club and Bilila Lodge, we did put on a nicer outfit for dinner.

Any other questions? Please ask!

Ilene
  • Options
    You have given me very helpful information. I appreciate it. I have packed 3 pairs of pants. A bit confused by
    the weather. Tauck says June through August is very chilly. What do you mean by a nicer outfit?
    Beige pants, and a sweater? Thanks for all your help!

• Options
    Pants and a sweater - perfect! You may have cooler weather than we had in May. We had perfect weather - 70's during the day, and probably 50's at night. Mornings were chilly. Even though you are right on the Equator at Mt. Kenya Safari Club, the altitude is high, so it is cool. You might even want to consider bringing a lightweight windbreaker or jacket.

By the 3rd or 4th day, I started to get into "safari mode" which meant no makeup, only lipstick, and I didn't care if I still had a hair style! You blow around in the jeeps when the windows are open and the roofs are off, so you must have a hat that ties under the chin. (You need a hat for the sun and also for the fabulous hot air balloon ride!)

Ilene
  • Options
    Tour director tip can be a check and not cash. $500 in cash is probably enough,
  • Options
    I have had so much great advice from this forum. We leave today. I will let everyone know what we experienced.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Hi--I got a CapitalOne credit card to use for international travel. They do not charge an international transaction charge. Stan
  • Options
    Just returned from the June 16 safari. All gift shops and hotels take credit cards. No need for lots of cash. And where cash is needed, all vendors accepted US dollars. No need for brand-new freshly-printed currency; just "up to date" bills in good condition. We exchanged only a small amount of money for some shillings.
This discussion has been closed.