Options

Just returned from Kenya/Tanzania Classic Safari!

WOW! This trip was just too "big" to put into words just yet. We cannot get Africa out of our minds...

Here are some small tips that we found useful on the trip:

Bring second camera if possible; bring x-tra memory and batteries; don't forget chargers!
A good zoom lens, even if 'point and shoot,' is extremely helpful. Folks without such were often frustrated.
Binoculars were needed.
We only used DEET/insecticide once! Bugs were not an issue. Never used mosquito net for head and have returned to REI.
Roads can be extremely dusty!(and bumpy) At times we wore scarves to protect against breathing too much in. Lip moisturizer is helpful.
Sun screen important.
Flat sink stopper was needed as most sinks did not hold water for washing out clothes. A few lodges had laundery service. Bring packets of tide, etc.
Zip lock bags came in very handy.
Flashlights are essential.
Nights can be cool; light jacket or sweater.
Bring packets ot tissues, women. Many "washrooms" have none, may not flush or lock. You'll get used to it!
Handwipes are important.
Some of us left flip flops, sneakers, cosmetic samples, clothes, etc with Tour Dir. to distribute to people. The needs are very great.
Bring small backpack or bag to take on the vehicle daily;
Internet mostly accessible.

Hope this will be helpful. Rest up! It is the trip of a lifetime.

Comments

• Options
    I'm leaving on this trip November 3rd...Your post is most helpful. Additionally, did you take any of the books they recommend...what about an i-pad? can it be used? I am so excited...thanks for your help...
  • Options
    We didn't take any books, but a friend took a book that identified birds and animals, which was somewhat helpful, however you will find your drivers a wealth of knowledge!!!
    My husband took his Nook, a friend had a laptop and Blackberry, all of which worked mostly...I used the computers at the Lodges....
    I envy you!
  • Options
    We are leaving for Tanzania in November. Did your pick up by Tauck in Arusha arrive at the time of your air arrival? Are meals on the first day of arrival not included?
    Thanks,
    Meo
  • Options
    YES, we were met at all stops and taken to the destination even though we were late arriving at Mt Kilimanjaro!! The meals the first day were not included but we got there so late that meals were not even an issue. getting 2-3 hrs. sleep was the only thing we cared about..
    Check your itinerary to see what they say about meals, etc...They are usuallyl pretty clear about what to expect...
    I hope you have a great time!!!!
  • Options
    We are on the Sept 2012 safari and will arrive in Arusha 2 days early. Are there tours available from the hotel? Suggestions on what to do and see?

Thanks,
    Kay
  • Options
    THere are several tour options from the Serena Mountain Village Lodge. Just ask your driver who picks you up at the airport or the receptionist at the Lodge when you check in. My husband & I did the tour this past Sept./Oct. WONDERFUL!! We arrived late on Sat. evening & had Sun. to do as we pleased. We took a morning stroll around the grounds &, upon asking a question of one of the groundskeepers (John), ended up with his guided tour of the beautiful hotel gardens (both flower & vegetable) In the afternoon, we joined my husband's sister & her husband for a guided tour around Lake Duluti arranged for at the front desk (the hotel is on the lake). We were gone about three hours. The terrain was uneven, but we were given walking sticks to help us hike! Lukas was our guide (also a waiter at the hotel). The hike was a lot of fun & was a great way to stave off jet-lag. We were happy we did the hike. Slept well that night! We all agreed that we could have become EXTREMELY lazy had we sat around the hotel & enjoyed the view (& a cocktail or two )-- although that is also a good option! There also was a wonderful luncheon buffet (Indian) offered on Sun. afternoon. Others in our group, who arrived a day earlier than we did, arranged to go into Arusha town to go to the markets. They seemed to have really enjoyed that trip. (Markets not open on Sun) I believe another option was to go to Arusha National Park. We didn't make any arrangements until Sun. morning - wanted our options open to assess how we felt after the long trip over. The trip was fabulous - have a great time!
  • Options
    Thank you for the great advice. We are a group of 12 and can hardly wait until next September!
    If you think of any other tips or reminders please post them, we are like a sponge wanting as much information as possible.

• Options
    Which September safari is your group on? we're going on the one that starts on 9/8. We just booked our air to get there 2 days early so we will be taking advantage of tours and/or activities at the hotel pre-trip. There's a blog including photos from someone who has taken this trip on another thread on this forum which is excellent. Check it out.
  • Options
    Hi,
    We are also on the safari beginning September 8! We plan to spend the night in Amsterdam both ways and will arrive in Arusha on the evening of the 5th.

I have read the blog from Tommye and there is another one by the CEO of Vacationstogo that provide great tips:-)
  • Options
    Re: Tommye Flemming's blog --- My sister-in-law & I devoured this blog before we went on our safari. It was well-written & with a good sense of humor. We thoroughly enjoyed it & it was like a "Bible" for our trip. However, I would like to make a couple additions/corrections (?).

Tommye wrote of the horrible drought that had been going on for awhile before she went (Sept. 2009) Due to the drought, there were numerous (MANY) dead animals & carcasses. She commented on the horrible smell. (I believe this was esp. true in Arusha) Fortunately, we did not experience this during our trip this Sept./ Oct. & hopefully you will not either - both for your sake and for the people (&animals) who live there..

She also said how dusty & bad the roads were. Perhaps it was her words of warning (that prepared us) or maybe "some improvements" in the roads and/or the vehicles, but we did not find them as "jaw- shattering" as she thought they were. Upon her suggestion,I did take a pillow ("Wonder Pillow" (?) as seen on TV) but never used it. Don't get me wrong, the roads are NOT good. You will definitely burn calories with your "in-seat jogging". But, unless you have back issues, or some chronic condition, you will make it through the "bumps". Just hang on to the bar on the side of the LAnd Rover & enjoy the ride. (& You'll never complain about an "ordinary" pot-hole again!) Your jacket, sweatshirt or whatever, that you bring along & have taken off, can also make a nice buffer between the side of the vehicle & yourself. As far as dust -- YES -- definitely bring something to cover your face, a bandana or scarf. I found a really cool thing at REI (I forget what it's called.) Just a stretchy piece of fabric sewn in a circle, like a neck band. Wear around your neck, pull up over your nose & mouth when it gets too dusty, & then pull back down when things are back to normal. Very handy, easy to use, & WORKED well. I also found a neck holder for my sunglasses to be very useful, too. Could take them on/off easily when taking a photo. (Between sunglasses, camera strap, binoculars & neck band for dust, I felt like a pack-mule, using my neck instead of my back!)

Tommye's trip included Samburu, which was not on our itinerary. & I believe that the Serengeti Kempinski is changing ownership on Jan 1 (to a Four Seasonns ?)We loved every place we stayed, found all bedding very comfortable & food good. Each place was different in its own special way. We commented to ourselves that they couldn't possibly outdo themselves after each place we stayed, but they did. My favorite place was Fairmont Mara Safari. Can't believe my favorite part of the trip was the tent! Would have LOVED one more night there!

Also, re: mosquitos. We also had no problem, but did use our DEET esp. at the lower altitude hotels. The netting in the hotels rooms is there for a reason, so we used it, but nice when we didn't have to.

Our guide was Anna. We hope you will be so lucky to have her! We had a WONDERFUL trip & know you will, too! I hated to see it end!
  • Options
    Thank you for the tips! We are absorbing every piece of information we can find:-)
  • Options
    Can anyone tell us what size of backpack you are allowed to bring on game drives and on the small planes? It must hold camera equipment, binoculars etc??

Thanks,
    Kay
  • Options
    Kay wrote:
    Hi,
    We are also on the safari beginning September 8! We plan to spend the night in Amsterdam both ways and will arrive in Arusha on the evening of the 5th.

I have read the blog from Tommye and there is another one by the CEO of Vacationstogo that provide great tips:-)

Hi Kay,
    Can you post a link to the "Tommye blog" or others? My wife and I are just beginning research on this trip and it sounds as if you and others found information in those blogs very useful. Thanks.
    Bill
  • Options
    I am going on the classic safari August 1st. I find all the writings very interesting as to what to bring. I have a question on money/ Should I get shillings for purchases. Someone said they took 100 one dollar bills? What did they use them for. What about souvenirs ..Did you barter and what is the exchange so you know how much you are paying for something. Anything anyone can share will be useful. I am getting really excited ! JV
  • Options
    Kay wrote:
    We are on the Sept 2012 safari and will arrive in Arusha 2 days early. Are there tours available from the hotel? Suggestions on what to do and see?

Thanks,
    Kay

My wife and I ( Mary Jo and Bob)are on the tour starting Sept 26. Anyone on this KT tour?
  • Options
    i am going on the sept 29th kenya /tanzania safari, can anyone tell me what shots or malaria pills are required.

I researched the CDC website and it seemed to me nothing is required, they just suggested taking malaria pills.

for anyone that has gone, what shots & pills are required , what is recommended (vs. what is required) and was proof of shots or taking or malaria pills required in order to get into the countries.

It seems tauck is not helpful on this matter

I really appreciate your response

two other questions:

I live in the USA, is the electricity the same in africa, do I have to bring a converter

also, is there the opportunity to go horseback riding

THANK YOU

I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR REPLY

• Options
    You will most definitely need a yellow fever vaccination as it is a yellow fever country and you need that to get in and you may not get back into your transits country like dubai etc. Also Malaria pills would be recommended.

The electricity is not the same as USA so bring along a convertor. I doubt whether you will get the opportunity to do horse riding.
  • Options
    Do you need an electrical converter if the things you need it for have dual voltage? I was under the assumption that you only needed an adapter plug set.
  • Options
    Going on the Sept 1 safari. Thanks for the hints. Can't wait.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Do you need an electrical converter if the things you need it for have dual voltage? I was under the assumption that you only needed an adapter plug set.
    We just came back from the June 30th trip. Our experience was that our dual voltage equipment worked fine with an adapter set. All of our hotels had the British-type outlets, what VoltageValet.com calls "Type D" (PDC-1 ungrounded or GUD grounded), it's big and looks like two horizontal eyes and a vertical mouth. Sometimes there were also the European "Type B" outlets (two round eyes), and sometimes there were shaver outlets in the bathrooms that handled American plugs (but these did not always work). Assuming you have dual-voltage equipment, just bring a few "Type D" adapters.
This discussion has been closed.