Average age of Tauck travelers?

Hi, this is my first time on a forum of any kind. My question may seem strange or ageist, but it’s not my intention. My in-laws loved Tauck tours and used them exclusively. When I mentioned to a travel agent friend that we were thinking of signing up for one, she made a face and said “Aren’t you a bit young for those?”. We are in our late 50’s and in pretty good shape - hike, walk long distances, swim, workout regularly. I want to make sure we will fit in with others on the tour. I always assumed we would, until doubts were planted by my travel agent friend. Any thoughts?

Comments

• We have been on a few and find that the higher the pace, the younger the people. Africa, Botswana, Zambia and S. Africa were 50’s and 60’s. There were two people well into their 70’s and they were the most active and pleasant to sit with as they had traveled extensively.

Australia and New Zealand we had people a little older. But you can go at an active pace. We set up Hot Air ballooning with our director early and paragliding in New Zealand. The nice thing we like are small groups and most people are educated, smart and excited about life.

We haven’t found anyone that was not a good sport.

• Thanks so much for your response KatieBee. I assumed as much and shouldn’t have given my friend’s comment too much credence. Sounds like you’ve been on some exciting tours! We look forward to taking our first one next year. Now we just have to decide which one!

• This is an old post but I wanted to make a comment about it. We started using Tauck 20 years ago when we were mid 40s. The majority of travelers were older, some who had traveled extensively. I loved it then as I love it now. The older folks have insights into what to see and how best to travel to see it. Now we are the older crew and I look forward to meeting the youngsters. As an aside, we also travel with Windstar. I don't think it is a good choice for young families. There are no kid activities. We went to Alaska on Windstar. There was a family with some kids who were petted by everyone aboard. But,it was still difficult for them since there were no games or fun activities.

• Hello, I saw today this post and I want to comment... for anyone who might have the same doubt about Tauck's clientele.
    I'm in my 50.... and have done 8 trips with Tauck and let me tell you.. what you get out of your trip it's up to you, if you go with an open mind you will enjoy and have a great time, regardless of the age of other participants... If you read about Tauck and please do get their brochures, they are very informative .... you will see that in most tours there is a scale of the tours pace.. and in most cases they are level 3-4 which means you need to be active and able to be on the go... Yes, Tauck clients are not in their early 30- med.40's but I have gone in some (Tauck) tours , where the people have been equally active ...also it makes the trip more interesting, most of their clientele has travel long enough to appreciate the quality of the tours and they are very friendly. The tours are high end so their clients are educated professionals with level. (lots of teachers, lawyers ,engineers, doctors...) and others that may not have a degree but are equally well manner , traveled and friendly.
    I love their tours because you are treated like a VIP client ,not like a cow in the herd, like most (tourist -class ) companies do.... go go go and let's take you to the souvenirs store, so we can get the commission..
    Unless your travel agent has specific reasons to know you wouldn't like them, or if you are in your 20's and want to party hard... ... I would not ruled out a chance to travel with Tauck , believe me ... I have enjoyed those solo ladies divorced/widow/single travelers or the fun couples traveling with friends .. like you would not believe it.
    Imagine a group of 9 single women ( all strangers ) together having drinks and dancing most of the nights at the hotels in India..
    A group of 6 of us...driving on the back of the scooters in Hanoi Vietnam at full speed in rush hour! it was a thrill!!! and I was the youngest 42 back then..
    A walking safari in Masai Mara to see the animals and lot's of downers were the entire group would drink together and tell jokes...
    I'm so pleased with them , I don't travel on my own like I just to anymore or with any other tour company.
    I hope my enthusiasm helps! have a good one.