Options

August 8, 2012 Classic Tour

Hi---Anyone going on the August 8th tour? Dubie

Comments

• Options
    We are - my wife and I from North Augusta, SC and her sister and husband from St Petersburg, FL. We just started looking at the forums to gather some info. Trying to decide now if Yellow Fever shots are needed. Getting mixed info on that. My understanding that none are required but not clear to me if we go into any areas that Yellow Fever shots are recommended. How about you?
    Bill
  • Options
    Hi Bill--My wife and I are from Rockville, MD. Look forward to meeting you and your family. Re yellow fever shots--as you will note on the forums, there is no clear recommendation. On one, a Tauck Advisor made a strong argument for getting the shots. Appears the issue is with Kenya which may or may not require that you show proof of having the shots. If you can't, they could quarantine you for several days. We got them just to be safe. No side effects. See you in August! Stan
  • Options
    The border crossing from Tanzania into Kenya is a real "trip", but I won't spoil the event by telling you about it!

Had the little yellow books all ready to show the officials, but they were more interested in taking our fingerprints than checking our yellow fever vaccinations. So we did the yellow fever, the hepatitis, the tetanus, and the malaria - never to see one mosquito in two weeks in Africa. Then we got back to Florida, and I got bitten on every limb!

If you have any questions about the trip, please see my recent posts in this forum, or send an E-mail to variousmail@bellsouth.net, and I will be happy to help!

Ilene
  • Options
    Thanks for response Stan. We have decided to get the Yellow Fever shots just to be safe - more for possible entry problems than for yellow fever. I sure wouldn't want to invest this much in the trip and run into an entry problem. Looking forward to meeting you. We are going a day early to allow for any flight delays.
    Bill
  • Options
    My husband and I are going on the August 8 tour. We are from Beverly Hills, Michigan(Detroit Metro area). Our shots, vaccines, and prescriptions have all been taken care of. My husband is climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro the week before the safari. We will both arrive at the hotel the day before the safari. I'm still looking into buying an electricity converter and deciding whether our cameras are as good as we may want. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate them. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you.
  • Options
    You may not need an electricity converter. Most of us were fine with just adaptor plugs because most of today's electronics are dual voltage. For example, I brought a Kindle charger, two I-phone chargers, a Canon camera battery charger, a Panasonic camera battery charger, and the electric razor charger. All were dual voltage, so we only needed the plug. What are you bringing that requires a converter?

As far as the camera goes, I have been using a Panasonic Lumix for years, but it only had a 12x optical zoom. For this trip, I bought a Canon with a 35x optical zoom and my photos are spectacular. It is a larger camera, to be sure, but it was worth the extra bulk and weight.

Hope this info helps!

Ilene
  • Options
    I carted an electricity converter on the Tanzania / Kenya safari for two weeks and never used it. Simply put, it is not needed and it is relatively heavy. I also carried a kit of 6 different electrical socket adapters. Had I Googled "electric travel adapters" I could have saved myself that trouble too. There are a number of websites that show you which adapter is needed for Tanzania / Kenya. The adapter you need has two round prongs that plug directly into the electric socket. You then plug your U.S. battery charger, or whatever, into the adapter.

Once you see the adapter you need, it can be purchased on Amazon for only several dollars. If you order it at the same time you are ordering other items, you can most likely avoid shipping charges....Leo M

• Options
    We needed the large, 3-prong adaptor in some of the hotels - so bring the whole set of adaptors!
This discussion has been closed.