Options

Declaration of items purchased

I would appreciate anyone sharing their experiences with customs particularly declaring their purchases (souvenirs not alcohol or tobacco) when crossing the border from Tanzania into Kenya. Also from Kenya into Amsterdam or the USA? Did anyone have to pay duties or have a problem returning with anything purchased? Thanks for your help. I'm leaving from Michigan on Monday for the August 8 safari.

Comments

• Options
    Although the gift shops at the hotels sell some pricey jewelry, most of us just purchased some inexpensive jewelry, bowls, and other items. There is no way any of us reached the maximum dollar amount of purchases that you are allowed to bring into the USA. Therefore, there was no need to pay any duties.

The border crossing from Tanzania into Kenya is an experience! There are lots of people trying to sell you stuff, and no one asking what you've bought! It's chaos.

There are certain items which you are not permitted to bring into the USA, such as items made of ivory, so I would check to be familiar with the list.

If Seth Cohen is your guide, please say hello from Ilene and Steven from Florida. He was terrific!
  • Options
    Hi Mac5...Ilene is totally correct...the crossing from Tanzania to Kenya is total chaos. No one showed the slightest interest in what we had purchased in Tanzania. However, I stepped out into the street after my documents were cleared and was immediately mobbed by vendors offering the most ridiculous prices we had seen. Yes, I did buy some things my wife wanted. She stayed back on the safety of the curb and just pointed to things she wanted. I should warn you...the vendors get pretty enthusiastic. I weigh 225 and several times I thought I would be knocked off my feet. These are not violent people...just desperate to sell you something.

You asked about bringing items through customs to Europe and the U.S. Just after we finished our hot air balloon ride on the Maasai Mara, I saw a very interesting knobkerrie. It's a weapon...a wooden shaft about 18" long with a bulbous end on it. The Maasai carry them to protect themselves from unfriendly animals / people. I really wanted it for my collection.

Unfortunately, I forgot the knobkerrie was a "weapon". I showed up at the airport with the knobkerrie in my carry-on bag. I don't know what I was thinking. Kenya's equivalent of the TSA told me I had a choice...give it to them or take it back through Customs to the airline baggage desk for them to pack for me. I left it. There was no way I was going back through the maze at Jomo Kenyatta Airport. If I had put the knobkerrie in my checked baggage all would have been fine.

I'm fairly sure you each have a limit of $800 in purchases to bring back without paying customs duty. You can go to the TSA website and double check that amount and the list of items you are not allowed to bring into the U.S.

Good luck...Leo M
This discussion has been closed.